SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
george_anderson48

First house! Living room help

George Anderson
8 years ago

So my wife and I are closing on our first house soon! We've lived in apartments with short leases up to this point so we've never really bothered investing much time or thought into design, just function. Need some help with layout ideas.

We bought a living room set barely a year ago that we won't be replacing. It's a regular size couch, loveseat, and recliner. They are microfiber but have the texture and color of a dark brown leather. We also have a couple blue stained side tables.

We like the layout that the previous owners have (pictures below) but it just won't work with the set that we have. I want to mount the tv over the fireplace and put the loveseat where they have the tv and the recliner angled next to it. My wife thinks it would be better to get a corner unit for the tv and basically block out the window next to the fireplace. Thoughts? Other ideas are of course welcome.

Also, we're not sure which way to go with an area rug. First, from what I've read/seen, we will probably want one slightly bigger than theirs. Maybe just a foot wider so that it goes under the couch? I included a picture of one pattern we're thinking of. What do you guys think? I'm thinking maybe some more color but I dunno. We're new at all this. Thanks!

Comments (3)