SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_jean_brown

Why MH are good for America

Debbie B.
8 years ago

OK, so I have been reading all the older posts on this forum. First, I have learned a TON and I really appreciate these posts! But second, I have noticed a thread running through many posts from what I am calling the "MH nay-sayers." You know, the folks who claim all MH are flimsy pieces of crap, ready to fall apart in the first stiff breeze, all MH dealers are corrupt, anyone who even considers a MH is a fool, etc. I would like to address those folks.

First, to the people who buy an MH and then complain about how cheap everything is, such as plastic faucets, pressboard cabinets, etc. Why did you buy it if you hate it so much? You must have known what everything was made of before you bought it. If not, you didn't do your due diligence before buying. And if your argument is that it's all you could afford, then I would say be grateful for those "lesser" materials, because that's the reason you can afford to buy your own home.

And even those materials will last a long time if properly cared for. My parents bought their DW in 1973, and when they sold in 2007, they still had the original cabs/cupboards, bathroom fixtures, etc. Over the years, they replaced one toilet and the kitchen sink, and bought new washer/dryer. That's it. Everything else was still in excellent condition, because they took care of it. They replaced the 1973 (orange shag!) carpet when mom retired, but only because of style, not because there was anything wrong with it.

Also, keep in mind that the newer your MH is, the better the materials will be, unless you buy from someone who has done major upgrades. The MH of 1970 is not the MH of 2015. They've come a long way, baby.

Yes, I acknowledge there are some lemons out there, just as there are lemon cars, stick built homes, and pretty much any product you can think of. I recently ordered a set of Pyrex bakeware. It arrived with a lid that was cracked almost in half. Rather than going on a mission to destroy the Pyrex corporation, I called them and explained the problem. They sent a new lid, and I got it the next day. But you can read reviews on Amazon by people whose Pyrex arrived broken, and you would think Pyrex is involved in a secret plot to destroy America, one chipped meatloaf pan at a time.

Nevertheless, there are a few people who have really been taken advantage of by a MH dealer. That is horrible, and it should never happen. But let's not throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater. Rather than try to destroy the MH industry, let's work together to make it better!

So the reason I say MH are good for America is two-fold. First, the MH industry provides a lot of jobs! At a time when jobs are hard to come by, and when people are complaining about outsourcing, most MH are built in America! They employ people to manufacture them, and then there are jobs for the set-up crews, and yes, even the dealers. And, just like a stick built home, if you decide to remodel or refurbish, that provides even more jobs.

Secondly, the reason MH are good for America is because people who could otherwise not be able to afford their own home can. People like me. And we know that when Americans own their homes, and can save money in the bank, America does well. And that's for every MH, down from a 2015 $195,000 Marlette to the 1979 fixer upper I just bought for $2,000. Home ownership is good for America, and there is a large group of MH owners who would still be renting if it were not for the existence of MH.

So so if you are disappointed with your MH, I'm sorry. Life can be profoundly disappointing at times. But you choose your attitude. As President Lincoln once remarked, "I think most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." So true! So instead of griping about how the world has it out for you, put a smile on your face and get to work and make the best you can of your situation. A MH can be, and often is, every bit as beautiful and comfortable as any other home. Look to this forum and others for inspiration and guidance. I'm amazed at the pictures I've seen! I know, for my house, you can come back in a year and you won't "see" any improvement. But that's because I'm first shoring up the structural integrity of the home. But come back in three years, and you won't believe it's the same place! And I'll have the satisfaction of knowing that other Americans had jobs because of me.

Comments (3)

Sponsored