SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattyak

Chilli Growing - Why are my Container Jalapenos hotter than Serranos?!

mattyak
8 years ago

Hi, great info on this site thanks.

I'm entering my second year growing Chilli plants and now expanding my varieties in Auckland, New Zealand. After learning a few lessons and becoming a bigger fan of Chillis last year, one thing stands out, my Jalapenos were very hot! I'm talking hotter than the Serrano and Cayenne growing right next to it with the same treatment. I noticed it more so towards the end of the fruiting season so much that I'm sure they were higher than the specified SHU rating. Do I have some sort of hybrid or is something going wrong (or right depending on your preference for heat )? I purchased seedlings from a major garden supply chain and they just stated Jalapeno. I don't think the plants were stressed much but might have had a little over and under watering at times. The plant was in a 5l container with high quality container mix and fertiliser, another Jalapeno was in the ground which was milder but not as healthy looking. I've Overwintered the container one and it's got good new growth now (Early spring).

Any thoughts? Mostly i'm curious if anyone else has had similar results but I'd really like a nice mild complimentary chilli I can mix into my habanero sauces etc and wondering if I should start fresh with new Jalapeno plants from another supplier.

Thanks

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022