SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suivezmoi

Watering Tips Mega-thread

suivezmoi
8 years ago

I know there are a ton of people on here with great experience with their plants. I see that a lot of issues that people have , especially newbies is in the watering department. I've decided to start keeping a document of the good tips I see on here that I can look back through when I'm having issues. I was hoping that some of y'all could contribute any tips you have. They can be basic things to know about watering or if there is a specific type of plant or zone that can be tricky that would also be really helpful. For me specifically any tips on dealing with a very humid climate would be great.

Here are some of the ones that I've either seen today or can remember.

"needing less water doesn't mean to water in sips. When soil is moist, the plant drinks up all it can. When soil dries out, the roots grow in search of moisture(a good thing). When soil is dry and you water it, at first the soil resists water. Thus, to 1. water it until it runs out the bottom then 2. wait a few minutes, then repeat that cycle two more times, you ensure that all the soil in the root ball actually gets wet.

The wait time depends on how long the soil holds on to water. There are several factors that go into how fast the water left in the soil evaporates, so you have to evaluate dryness each time before you water." - EZ

On "mesembs": When they are growing new leaves from the center do not give them extra water, you risk rotting them.

Watering in the morning is good practice. It allows the plant time during the day to dry out.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting