SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

Ideas for our deck/balcony

8 years ago

Ok just got back the corrected drawings from the builder today and because we are losing a room upstairs, we can no longer have the balcony extend out across the whole back area of the "lanai" area. Meaning from the dining area to over the barbecue area. Right now it was suggested we put a pergola over the area that isn't decked (the area out the dining room).

I'm wondering if any of you great minds have any other ideas? I'm showing it with the deck as it will have to be and the pergola over the dining area. We do want it covered still as that was where we were thinking of putting the table.

Comments (25)

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks Omelet. I haven't narrowed down exactly what I want to do with my balcony or my front railing yet. Whatever I choose for my front railing will be repeated in the balcony. I'm leaning towards something more craftsman to go with the rest of my house design. Here is the front.

BTW: The sliders will have the grids in them to recreate the craftsman look too.

• Related Discussions

Do you have 2nd floor master bedroom balcony/deck?

Q

Comments (7)
    Yes. Actually, we designed our house so all the bedrooms on the second floor and every bedroom has direct access to at least one deck. There are three upper decks with a total of almost 400 sq ft of space. The house faces north and one deck is on the northeast corner, another is on the south side, and the third is on the west side over a screened in porch that sits between the house and garage. We haven't moved in yet but whenever we're working at the house and take a break, we almost always wind up sitting on one or the other of the 2nd floor decks. We're in central Texas where it is hot most of the year but there is almost always a breeze up there and, except at high noon, one deck or the other is at least partially shaded. We've already eaten a number of pic-nic lunches out on the decks and I've taken more than one midafternoon nap on a folding chaise lounge out there. We're kind of out in the country though so all our decks are pretty private. The one in back is invisible unless you are actually on our 4 acre property and even the one in "front" is mostly hidden by the trees in the front yard. I wouldn't feel at all uncomfortable going out in my pjs on any of them. My brother also has a 2nd floor deck on the front side of his house in the Heights area of Houston. It is is pretty small (maybe 6' x 12') and not at all private but they seem to use it quite a bit. In fact, I usually find my brother sitting out there with his laptop when I drive up. I think it kind of depends on your personality. If you like feeling fresh air and being outdoors, you'll probably use your deck. If you actually are more comfortable indoors, then your decks (and patios) probably won't get much use.
    ...See More

Need ideas on how to expand our deck

Q

Comments (2)
    I was thinking along the same lines as Weedyacres. Bring the deck out to where you now have the deck stairs. If you wanted to, you could have the stairs go to the left so they don't protrude so far into the yard.
    ...See More

Ideas for deck design under balcony

Q

Comments (7)
    IMO, the lower patio is close enough to the ground that you'd be best off with a patio rather than a wood deck. On account of the grade and budget, concrete would be your best option. It should come out far enough that the posts for the upper deck sit on it. A patio could tie into a set of wide concrete steps (at least 4') going straight down the hill. An upper landing should be the full width of the post opening.
    ...See More

Updating our entire exterior: balcony design, front door ideas?!

Q

Comments (4)
    I do like that photo! I like that sort of grand entrance and I think the black balconies look pretty nice, though I would maybe do a simpler design. But seeing that photo makes me think black might look really nice. Unfortunately we moved some things around internally and no longer had space for the double door. And splitting the balconies I guess is more to open up opportunity for the entrance/front door area and the private balconies were sort of a secondary bonus.
    ...See More
  • 8 years ago

Not helping....but I still like the larger upstairs.

Could you have it unfinished space? Storage off your studio...that allows the balcony to continue over the lanai?

cpartist thanked Lavender Lass
  • 8 years ago

Losing the upstairs balcony is a blow, but, honestly, I think it's better to put the bulk of your resources into the main, downstairs floor.

I'm not sure what we're seeing. Does the dotted line represent the covered porch ... and beyond that's pergola? I'd vote for as much covered porch as possible for the hot Florida sun (and those late day showers). I LOVE my covered porch.

Since I know this is a retirement house for you, so please tell me that dotted line doesn't represent a step. I'd strongly recommend ONLY flat surfaces, especially in a wide area like this, where hand-holds would be near-impossible.

As for porch rails, do you need them at all? Oddly enough, I had trouble finding images of porches flowing straight out into patios -- I didn't think it was an odd idea, but perhaps I'm wrong:

cpartist thanked mrspete
  • 8 years ago

Thanks mrspete.

you are looking at the view from the second floor so what you are seeing is the balcony to the right and the pergola on the left.

Look at the elevation and you can see the balcony on the left and hints of the pergola on the right. The pergola is in line with the dining room. The balcony is in line with the living room.

Thanks LL.

Not helping....but I still like the larger upstairs.

Could you have it unfinished space? Storage off your studio...that allows the balcony to continue over the lanai?

Oh how wonderful! You're going to give me the $25,000-$50,000 I'd save by not having the extra 201 square feet? ;) You are a wonderful sport. LOL.

Seriously though, other than losing the extra balcony space, which I have no need of except to shade me from the sun downstairs, I really prefer the look of the house with it not looking quite so boxy now. I find it more charming looking now vs before.

• 8 years ago

Did they explain why you lose that part of the balcony? I can see where, from a design point of view, it's a challenge, but construction-wise (that's a technical term lol) I don't see the problem?

• 8 years ago

OT: see your stair-landing window? If you make the guest bedroom closet smaller, you can have a similar window on the left side of that wall :)

• 8 years ago

You may want more covering over the table than a pergola. Can it have a roof, or a retrctable awning over the pergola? Thinking that, if it starts to sprinkle, you wouldn't HAVE to move the dinner inside.

• 8 years ago

Did they explain why you lose that part of the balcony? I can see where, from a design point of view, it's a challenge, but construction-wise (that's a technical term lol) I don't see the problem?

Yes they can't attach the balcony to a roof.

OT: see your stair-landing window? If you make the guest bedroom closet smaller, you can have a similar window on the left side of that wall :)

Yes I realize that. :)

You may want more covering over the table than a pergola. Can it have a roof, or a retrctable awning over the pergola? Thinking that, if it starts to sprinkle, you wouldn't HAVE to move the dinner inside.

Exactly. That is why I posted. I'm hoping some of you will come up with some other solutions. I'm worried that a retractable next to the balcony, might look a bit strange?

• 8 years ago

I think it will ultimately be fine aND the benefit is that you will increase natural light a LOT downstairs.

In a parade home up here the owners had an exterior closet built. We were too far along to change our layout but it is a brilliant idea. It's like the type on a condo or apartment balcony, but at ground level. It stores patio umbrella, stack of chair cushions, etc. I think your house needs this type of exterior storage if possible because of the way you plan to use the outdoor space.

I think their closet is about 4x5'. Just big enough to be useful. A can light inside.

cpartist thanked Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
  • 8 years ago

I'm coming out of left field, ('cause that's where I always am!). Thinking of the awning makes me wonder if you could sneak a screen porch in there? hhuuummmm....... Just pondering the cost of a good awning and the cost when an awning fails..... I am sure you will find a grand solution!

cpartist thanked hillokee
  • 8 years ago

Thanks Mama Rachel.

I think it will ultimately be fine aND the benefit is that you will increase natural light a LOT downstairs.

That's an excellent point especially since it's my kitchen and it can use more light. However because it's west facing, I may need something more to block the late day sun?

Thanks hillokee.

I'm coming out of left field, ('cause that's where I always am!). Thinking of the awning makes me wonder if you could sneak a screen porch in there? hhuuummmm....... Just pondering the cost of a good awning and the cost when an awning fails..... I am sure you will find a grand solution!

I'm wondering if an awning or a pergola would be a better choice or if there's a choice I am missing.

As for the screen porch? The whole area including the pool will be screened in. This house is in FL and we live under cages. However the top is just screening so the light still comes in.

• 8 years ago

Screen porch vs. cage! Cage wins. Must now search for images of pool cages. hehe

Pergola with screening that would redirect or slow moisture filtration?

Back to left field I go!

cpartist thanked hillokee
  • 8 years ago

Cp, I know you have under roof sqft considerations... but along with the outdoor closet idea... where will you store pool chems, tools, floaties, spades and small outdoor tools, soil, chair pads, etc.? I don't see any storage for thsee things. Will you built a small pool house or shed? Use the garage?

• 8 years ago

I had to hit submit to see the picture, sorry.

What about making the right panel of the great room glass doors fixed a d sneaking a deep closet in where the grill is shown and scooting the grill to the left? Inside the closet do shelves down one side.

I think this could be a savings $ wise or cost neutral as you'd lose one panel of operable door but retain the light with a floor to ceiling window.

I never regret good storage. I can't figure out how this backyard space could be functional without a significant storage solution in place to serve it.

• 8 years ago

Thanks Mama.

but along with the outdoor closet idea... where will you store pool chems, tools, floaties, spades and small outdoor tools, soil, chair pads, etc.? I don't see any storage for thsee things. Will you built a small pool house or shed? Use the garage?

After the season, everything will be stored in the garage. During season, I was planning on getting some storage bins for the pool stuff. Storage Bins

We don't have young children and no grandchildren, yet, so no floaties.

We never take our chair pads in during season. Right before season ends, we unzip the cushions and throw the fabric in the machine to clean them. Then they'll be stored in the garage.

My gardening tools will be stored in the garage, but those will consist of some gloves and some hand tools. I am not about to start with major moving of things. I most likely will not be doing any major gardening so don't need soil. That is for the gardener to do nowadays. :) (Although I did do all my own gardening for the first 20 years of owning a home.)

What about making the right panel of the great room glass doors fixed a d sneaking a deep closet in where the grill is shown and scooting the grill to the left? Inside the closet do shelves down one side.

I think this could be a savings $ wise or cost neutral as you'd lose one panel of operable door but retain the light with a floor to ceiling window.

Our sliders are pocket sliders that slide into the wall so the whole wall then is open to the outside, so while normally a good idea, it won't work in this case.

I never regret good storage. I can't figure out how this backyard space could be functional without a significant storage solution in place to serve it.

You are 100% correct that we do need storage. However because it's the two of us only, it's probably not quite as much as a young family. If I am wrong, then I will have to build something later on.

Also this is one reason I insisted on having the door from the garage to the side yard. :)

• 8 years ago

Screen porch vs. cage! Cage wins. Must now search for images of pool cages. hehe

Pergola with screening that would redirect or slow moisture filtration?

Back to left field I go!

Hillokee, I'm liking the way you're thinking! Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

• 8 years ago

I've seen quite a few beautiful Craftsman exterior pictures with a pergola. I'm sure you/your builder has already thought of it, but I can't remember the "rules" on pergola design. Would the slats (is that the proper term?) be oriented the right direction to provide afternoon shade?

Another thought is that the few times I've been in SWFL or the Keys and had evening rains, it was lovely to sit outside under a covered awning/porch. That said, I'm a northerner who swims in FL in March, even if everyone else is in parkas (not as much as problem in SWFL as AMI, but still).

Do you still have the room for eating/reading/enjoying being outside under the covered area (or does the novelty of that wear off)? :)

I know it adds another roof ($$), and not sure if it would blend with your roofline, but if you decide against the pergola, would another gabled roof over that area work/look good?

I know you like my view, but I envy your caged pool area. It's going to be a great home.

cpartist thanked treehuggergirl
  • 8 years ago

Thank you treehugger.

I've seen quite a few beautiful Craftsman exterior pictures with a pergola. I'm sure you/your builder has already thought of it, but I can't remember the "rules" on pergola design. Would the slats (is that the proper term?) be oriented the right direction to provide afternoon shade?

I have no clue what the proper term is so as far as I'm concerned, slats works. :) I'm not sure about the direction being right. The thing is we'll still have the shade under the balcony to the area right outside the living room area.

Another thought is that the few times I've been in SWFL or the Keys and had evening rains, it was lovely to sit outside under a covered awning/porch. That said, I'm a northerner who swims in FL in March, even if everyone else is in parkas (not as much as problem in SWFL as AMI, but still).

Yes us FL people laugh at how you guys are walking around in shorts and flip flops while we're still bundled up. :) We can always tell the northerners who are visiting vs the snowbirds and natives.

Do you still have the room for eating/reading/enjoying being outside under the covered area (or does the novelty of that wear off)? :)

No it's wonderful in the late afternoon.

I know it adds another roof ($$), and not sure if it would blend with your roofline, but if you decide against the pergola, would another gabled roof over that area work/look good?

Can't add a gabled roof because I am limited to 2124 covered square feet under roof and that includes the garage and the front porch. I already have the 2124 square feet.

I know you like my view, but I envy your caged pool area. It's going to be a great home.

Thank you.

• 8 years ago

A few ideas.....

Don't know if these will work, but they're pretty! And this one is totally off topic, but too lovely to exclude :)

cpartist thanked Lavender Lass
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Consider composite decking so the finished product will look good for many years to come -- without needing all the maintenance of wood.

Fiberon · More Info

cpartist thanked Fiberon Decking
  • 8 years ago

We had a pergola at our last house (freestanding) and loved it. One thing that would have made it better, though, was those fiberglass roof panels. They're clear so you'd still let sun in, but you could sit there under the rain. Does that technically count as a roof? I mean, you could always add them AFTER the fact and you probably couldn't see them from the road! We had wisteria growing on our pergola like Lavendar suggested and it was heavenly. The people who bought out house changed SO much. I'm afraid they may have ripped out my wisteria. jasmine, roses, and clematis that I had trained up the sides. :(

cpartist thanked Amber
  • 8 years ago

By the way, I really do like the new elevation! It does give it even more character!!

cpartist thanked Amber
  • 8 years ago

We put in fiber glass roof panels to create a covered area in part of our lanai in FL in our old house. Terrible, terrible mistake. They were impossible to keep clean, collected dirt, didn't really provide good shielding from the sun, and for some reason became a resting place for lots of lizards which drove my dog crazy. I would highly recommend NOT doing that.

cpartist thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • 8 years ago

Thank you everyone. I apologize for not responding sooner as we flew from NY to FL yesterday and then met with the builder today. Let me say that we have an idea in mind so should be okay. We really need to flesh it out first though.