SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Lighting Questions--Display, Pendant, and Under-Shelf

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Maybe this should be in Lighting? Or decorating? Oh well. I've searched here and both of those places to see what's recommended for IN cabinet lighting, rather than UNDER cabinet, but I haven't found much. We're planning some glass-fronted cabs (on the right in the photo below) as well as four smaller cabinets up above, and I'm wondering about peoples' experience with lighting.

Should there be LED strip along the top, bottom or side(s)? Pucks at the top? Glass shelves in the bigger cabs with lighting only at the top? Wooden shelves with lighting at each? Dimmable? Diffusers? Color temp. matching the rest of the kitchen or leaning cooler or warmer? Any other considerations (including stop overthinking)?

As for pendants, I stumbled onto these insulator pendant lights and I'm intrigued, especially since you can get vintage-looking braided red cord or red and white herringbone cloth covered cord, which might be a nice nod to our red stove. Has anyone seen these? I'm wondering if their proportions would work by the sink and if they'd cast enough light. Would doing a pair in place of each of the schoolhouse lights too be overkill?

We're also planning some open shelves for the other side of the kitchen, and I'm wondering if people put lighting only under the bottom shelf to light the counter, or under upper ones too. Preferences for puck or strip?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville