SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loonlakelaborcamp

How long should it take to get approved for a pet from a pet rescue?

I know they want their dogs to go to good homes, but please don't be ridiculous!

How long should it take to get approved for a pet from a pet rescue organization? I'm talking the no-kill, every dog in a foster home type organization. No central shelter, all communication is by e-mail volunteers. We live in the largest city in ND.

You contact them by e-mail, you fill out an application with references. They check references, then inspect your home. THEN you may be able to get to see a dog. And even if you finally get a dog, they will not give you ownership papers for up to 3 months - so they can check in on you - again.

OK, we have been working with this local organization for 7 WEEKS. We got to see one psycho dog 4 weeks into the process, and then we asked to see 3 others. We have yet been able to talk to a foster home to set up a meet! It's been three more weeks!

They have over 50 dogs to rehome, and they are constantly crying over TV and radio about how many doggies need a home, how much funding they need. I can not understand why they are so slow and unresponsive-you can't call them. They may email or call you, you can't call back. RANT.... We are mature, stable, experienced dog owners.

After 7 weeks of this, my husband said enough! He went to Petfinders.com, checked out a county Humane Society 90 miles away, was able to talk to someone on the phone. They basically interviewed him for 45 min, sent us an application to fill in with references that we e-mailed back right away. They checked our references in 1 day, and now we can pick up the dog we saw online -- only 3 days! They said that that our landlord, a neighbor, and our Vet were the best indications of what kind of pet owners we would be.

My annual contributions will go to this smaller, humane society rather than the larger group that seemed more interested in the process than in the results of rehoming a dog. RANT...

Have you had the same experience?

Comments (24)