SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sofibebe

INSULATING PIPES IN EXISTING EXTERIOR WALL- HELP!!!

sofibebe
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Not sure if this is the right place for it, if it is, let me know where to move... but, recently discovered that my pipes in the exterior wall of my bathroom have the insulation batt on top instead of behind them. (we had to open the ceiling in the floor underneath the pipes for something else). The pipes also have the foam tube insulation wrapped around them, and behind them between the studs looks to be filled with a sheet of drywall (i guess as a air barrier to block any intrusion of air from the outside from the original construction (cedar interlocking planks w/ cedar shingles over them).

We just moved in, but the bathroom was redone recently, so ripping out the bathroom is not an option.

Was thinking of blowing in cellulose insulation behind the pipes to give them some additional protection from freezing. Is this a good idea? Are there other options?

We had a blown in contractor come in and look, and he said he would pull out the existing batt insulation (again, its in front of the pipes behind the drywall instead of behind the pipes) and fill the cavities with blown, however, I didn't want to remove the batt, as it would also take the vapor barrier with it.But everything i've been reading says the insulation over the pipes is just the WORST.

Some help here would be really appreciated! Freaking out a bit, and wondering who let this happen.

Thanks

Comments (7)