SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hollie_z9

Tall Orange Rose with Good Looking Foliage?

hollie_z9
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I know this is a difficult question. I'm tearing out a hedge in my small front yard to fit about 3 HTs and 3 Floribundas, so I need a bush that can look good. I already have an Over the Moon in the corner and the foliage is fantastic and it is tall, perfect for my purpose. But I need more orange cutting roses rather than apricot so I was thinking Chris Evert although I've never seen a mature CE rose bush. I live near the ocean in Santa Cruz (northern) California and surprisingly roses do well here. I also have a Wildfire planted bare root this spring, don't know how it will do, so I need one more HT or Grandiflora. I'm looking for about 5' tall bush.

Comments appreciated.

Comments (30)

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

If you don't mind striped roses, Rainbow Niagara would suit your needs,I think. Mine is a year old ( grafted, Huey or Multiflora ) and is already 5'. It flowered through winter here, so is now just getting ready for its spring flush. I counted more than 3 dozen buds this afternoon. The stems are long for cutting and it has a nice fragrance too.

• john_ca
    8 years ago

We have an entire bed of different orange roses (12 or so); if I could have only one, it would have to be VALENCIA. The flowers are huge (5-7 inches) and have a high petal count; nice fragrance too. What really sets it apart is how long they last on the plant (and in the vase). The foliage is extremely disease resist here. This one grows around 6-7 feet here and is at least 6 feet across here. it is more in the apricot range, so I am not sure that it would meet your color requirement.

• Related Discussions

which pink roses look really good and smell good, too?

Q

Comments (27)
    I will forever love Louise Odier. She is the rose that got me started in my rose obsession! Her fragrance is intoxicating, her shape is just beautiful. Check out this website below. A few years back, I was googling something and came across it. It interested me enough to buy a rose bush, then 2, then 3... Here is a link that might be useful: Louise Odier - be sure to scroll all the way to bottom!
    ...See More

Looking for a full, small, shrubby orange or yellow rose

Q

Comments (27)
    Wow.. thanks all for the ideas :) I have never seen Julia Child and now I think I might need one myself :) Cute cute! Happy Child is one I haven't checked into and that one is quite pretty also (I love multipetalled flowers) I have Softee, and agree is is always blooming.. a real cutie of a rose. Well.. now we will see what my MIL's designer decides. I was trying to get some of my "personality" (OGR or the like) into her garden. We will see if it happens or not. what is really ironic is that this same person is going to help plan the front flower beds which is supposed to be an english/country garden theme. I am waiting to see what she does/what she picks out... I am just waiting for HT's to be interdispersed with the delphiniums :) Marleah
    ...See More

Good orange rose?

Q

Comments (29)
    Bluegirl, I think you stated elsewhere that you garden in desert heat. If so, Royal Dane (Troika) is one that you might want to avoid. If it could take the heat of my garden, I think it might be my favorite rose. For color, size of blooms, and fragrance it's hard to beat. A saving characteristic is that RD wants to bloom VERY early in the season -- well ahead of any of my other HTs -- so that first flush in a mild spring is pretty special. After that, though, it tends to shut down production. For the remainder of the season, it seems to put all its energy into reaching for the sky. In my garden it rivals Folklore and Elina in height. Also, it's a water hog -- always shows signs of stress ahead of any other rose in its bed. Its thirst is becoming increasingly problematic for me. Fortunately, we've had an unusually wet summer this year. If things revert to the norm next season, RD may have to go.
    ...See More

Valencia Orange Tree not looking so good

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello, We reside in Northern California, climate zone 9b. The soil is mainly clay, but we added a layer of richer soil for the veggie garden when it was planted 6 years ago (it is about 10 years old and about 5' tall). The tree gets direct sun from noon on. I have used some citrus feeding sticks in it. The area is windy. In the summer the tree is on drip. Some of the leaves are showing a brownish area around the tip and other mature leaves are falling after turning yellowish. The tree only gives a few oranges a year. Does anybody have a recommendation for helping this tree out? From Orange Illness
    ...See More
  • hollie_z9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oz, I like what you are saying about Rainbow Niagra, 5' tall at that age and good for cutting, I've never been a striped rose gal but it is the nicest striped rose I've seen. How does the bush itself look?

John, you must be near me, I'm ss zone 17. I grew Valencia when I lived in Carmichael which is SS zone 14. I love Valencia and don't know how she would grow here but roses generally pink out more, get taller here. What I hold against Valencia for this location is that she always had "bare knees", not a pretty bush. And I am looking for something more vibrant orange.

As soon as the sun gets further west, I'll take a photo of place these will go. I have so little room here I can only have about 5 roses including Floribundas, I used to have many more when I lived in the Sacramento area.

Thanks for your comments and if you have a runner up to the orange/apricot roses you mentioned, I'd love to hear it.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here in zone 17 we also have a lot more blackspot and powdery mildew, both my supposedly resistant roses have it right now.

• john_ca
    8 years ago

Hi Hollie, I am at the eastern edge of the San Joaquin Valley very close to the Stanislaus River in USDA zone 9/SS zone 14. Other orange HT roses that we are fond of that are not apricot are: Liverpool Remembers; Remember Me; Christopher Columbus; Sedona, Shreveport, About Face (grandiflora) and Enchanted Autumn. Austins Summer Song, Pat Austin, Carding Mill, The Lady of Shallot, Lady Emma Hamilton, Port Sunlight and Grace. John Clements shrubs Safari and Louise Clements. Florabundas Adobe Sunrise, Outrageous, Easy Does It, and Tangerine Streams (we also have Vavoom and Gingersnap, but these are very disease susceptible here). We got a few more to try this year in this color, but have not seen enough of them to make a recommendation: Good Life, Folklore, and Royal Parks.

• sharon2079
    8 years ago

I have my eye on a couple of oranges that I am interested in that may also fit your criteria: Hybrid Tea - Summer Sunset, Hybrid Tea - Beverly Hills, Hybrid Tea - Raphaela, hybrid tea - voodoo

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Roses · More Info

This may explain my predicament. I only have this one space for roses, underneath my windows. I took out part of the hedge but can take it all out. The bush in the corner is Over the Moon which I like because it has lots of foliage, it is 2 years old, an apricot rose. There is also a small Wildfire planted bare root last Spring but you can't really see it.

Roses · More Info

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is a bloom from Over the Moon I got today, 2 photos, different light. It is a real bloom machine bush. Still these are Apricot and I need brighter orange roses.

Roses · More Info

Roses · More Info

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

John, you really do have lots of orange roses! I've been looking them up but haven't gotten through your complete list. Shreveport sure is pretty. Perhaps you can tell me which of these HTs or GFs are your favorites and have pretty foliage, good vase life and disease resistance? I don't want Austins, bad luck with them in the past, and I already have some Floribundas. I'm looking for tall, under my windows roses. I have had my eye on Voodoo but hear it doesn't put out many blooms?

Sharon, I can't even find the roses you mentioned except Voodoo on Help me Find or other sites. Where are you finding these?

Thanks so much for these suggestions!

• User
    8 years ago

'Livin' Easy' is true tangerine here. Grows about 4 feet in lousy mountain "soil".

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just planted a Livin Easy on the other side of the house. It's partially in shade but I hear that's OK with this rose. It has had a few blooms, I took one in but it had virtually no vase life. Will that change as it matures? I love the color, it's a beautiful rose. Maybe I should plant it in front too but I was hoping for roses I could cut and had some vase life.

• john_ca
    8 years ago

Hollie,

My wife and I are more partial to the apricot shades of orange (Lucille Ball, Brandy, Just Joey, Valencia, Abbaye de Cluny, Over the Moon, Sunswept) but we do like those of a true orange, even towards the red orange range. We are pleased with the performance of the Meilland rose, Christopher Columbus, which has attractive disease-free foliage here. It can sometimes have a pure orange color, but other times it has some coral tones-"pinking out" as you said earlier. It must be difficult to breed a true orange rose, as it seems that there are not many in this color. I think that this rose usually grows 3-5 feet tall, but ours is well over 6 feet after just 2 years in the garden. I was having trouble finding this one, but we eventually found one at hortico.com, a Canadian company that has many hard-to-find roses from Europe and the UK. Sedona is a tall grower from Jackson and Perkins that we like that has a similar color range. The plant we have grows more vertically without much branching out sideways-I don't know if my plant is typical, but I do recall reading a post 3 years ago or so stating that their Sedona plant had done the same thing. Perhaps of all the roses we grow, Liverpool Remembers produces more flowers that are of pure orange color than any other. Our 2 year old specimen is around 3 feet tall and 2.5 feet across. I expect that it will eventually grow to 4-6 feet in a few years. This rose has a decent fragrance and a relatively high petal count. If you don't mind a mixture of orange, red, and light orange/tan, you may want to consider Remember Me. Our specimen is 4 years old and has grown to around 7 feet tall and at least 5 feet across. It is extremely vigorous and branches more than any other rose that I have ever grown. I have checked the photos of this rose on the HMF website and they show roses that are extremely variable in color, with mixtures of tan, orange, and red. I have not seen the tan shades here, just mixtures of orange and red. Of all the HT, I think that the 2 that you should consider are Christopher Columbus and Liverpool Remembers, both available from hortico.com

Of the floribundas our favorites are Adobe Sunrise (pure orange) and Outrageous, an orange and yellow blend. Both are shorter than the HT's at around 3 ft tall x 4 ft across. If you want pure orange, go with AS-the foliage is disease-free here.

We also like the pure red orange HT's Fragrant Cloud and Dolly Parton-FC is one of the parents of DP. both have a strong fragrance and make great cut flowers. Both are around 5 ft high x 5 ft across.

Good luck with your choice!

John

• User
    8 years ago

..I think 'Westerland' is popular in your area, as it is here... [not my garden]... it seems to have good foliage too....of course, it may grow larger for you... I wouldn't know about that.... happy choosing...

• sharon2079
    8 years ago

I found them all on helpmefind, They are Delbard roses. Beverly Hills was introduced by Armstrong Nursery in the US.... and Summer Sunset is on my wishlist. I have been trying to find it listed by someone the US but I think Hortico in Canada has it - at least on helpmefind. If you would considered a shrub rose Enchanted Autumn does great for me. It smells great but it is not a Hybrid Tea nor is it a floribunda.

Good Luck

Post back your pics.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago

'Wildfire' has been an excellent rose here. It's one of my heaviest bloomers.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hoovb, I'm so happy to hear you say Wildfire is excellent and one of your heaviest bloomers. I have a 1/2 year old planted Wildfire that hasn't done much yet, but I'm sure hoping it can match yours. You are a little bit further off the ocean than me, I think and you have more heat and sun. How old is yours and how tall is she? That is great news for me.

Sharon, Enchanted Autumn is beautiful, I will look for it.

Malorena, you are right, Westerland is BIG here in more ways than one. You can't go into a nursery without seeing many Westerlands but I didn't go for it since I don't think the blooms are vase worthy? And it is a climber and I don't want to deal with the extra work keeping it shorter. I love the look of it though.

John, I really like Liverpool Remembers, from the photos I've seen Christopher Columbus has a bit too much pink for me since roses turn more pink here naturally. LR has a much higher rating on HMF than Wildfire but they look similar, so thank you for that. I didn't find it on Hortico but Palatine has it, but out of stock, named as Beauty Star. Hopefully I'll find it in stock.

I LOVE Adobe Sunrise, the bloom form is gorgeous. John do you know if it lasts very long in the vase? At Reagan Nursery I could get this in a 2' or 3' tree, how would that look John?

Since I have these orange roses now, I am switching my search to look for orange/yellow blends.

Thanks!

• john_ca
    8 years ago

Hollie,

Adobe Sunrise has rather short stems, so we have not cut any to bring inside. On the plant, it lasts a fair amount of time, about average. I think that AS would make a stunning tree rose/standard, as it is not very tall and branches nicely. It would be easier to view them as they would be around head height for most adults.

We do cut a lot of flowers from Valencia: long stems, high petal count, long life on plant and in the vase, nice fragrance. Ours is a horse here, around 6 feet tall and no bare knees. This is our top apricot orange rose to cut for the house.

Our Liverpool Remembers does not produce as many flowers as V, but it has not been in the ground nearly as long. LR was patented in 1992, so it would be off patent by now, if you wanted to try to root one. Do take a look at Louise Clements-it always has a good orange color here. And Safari, is one of our favorites, although some flowers have coral tones. Safari sometimes has so many flowers that you can't see the leaves. Pat Austin produces some very bright orange flowers with a yellow reverse. ours is around 6 feet high x 6 feet wide and produces huge flushes from the top of the plant all the way to the ground. Lots to choose from!

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

John, I just can't do Austin type roses I don't think. I had Crown Princess Margherita and Golden Celebration in Carmichael and had to plant them in another bed due to their large size and those canes. And as cut flowers they were terrible. I love the look of Louise Clements then I see a photo of all those buds coming out at once and it is just too much to handle plus it would take up the whole bed and canes would be flopping against the windows. Tell me if I'm wrong about this.

I had 3 Valencias in Carmichael and loved the way the blooms were formed and lasted so long. But all had bare knees and did not put out many blooms as you say yours are. Plus I need something with more color, my Valencias were an apricot buff color.

I can't even find Safari. There are just a few photos on Help Me Find and that is it.

Have you had any experience with Voodoo or Chris Evert?

• sharon2079
    8 years ago

There is a new rose out for 2017 called Tropical Lightning. It is an orange striped rose. It is not listed on helpmefind, but you can see it on rosemania website. I was getting ready to order some fungicide and thought I would take a quick peek at their bare roots. I would get it but it is not on fortuniana root stock.

• john_ca
    8 years ago

Hi hollie,

I do know what you mean about the Austin roses-I have grown around 150 different ones over time. CPM wants to throw 8-12 ft canes and would be inappropriate for what you want in your situation. We were working this morning training canes of 2 Spirit of Freedom onto trellises around our front picture windows; it had a few canes that were 16 ft long. Our Radio Times grew 12 foot canes last summer, etc.

We really like GC and have 6 of them in 2 groups of 3; they are 6 ft x 6 ft for us and repeat bloom quickly, but you don't want yellow. Some Austin roses grow to huge sizes here and others don't. Carding Mill is around 5 ft tall x 6 ft wide for us; it can have somewhat orange flowers at times, but will "pink out" and you will not be happy with that. Grace is a mannerly rose, but is probably too "apricot" for you. In my experience, Pat Austin will never get larger than 5-6 ft tall and wide. When we grew PA in the Houston, TX area, it did not do well due to foliar diseases and problems with fire ants eating the root hairs. In our arid part of CA, it does fine and makes a dense, bushy shrub. It could probably be kept at 4-5 ft tall and wide here.

Louise Clements is a bushy shrub that will get around 4-5 ft tall and wide. I have grown it in 2 homes that I have lived in in the last 15 years. It has never thrown any octopus canes. I don't remember having any issues with it trying to open too many flowers at one time. Its a great garden rose and a decent cut flower with "average" vase life. This is the one that you might be happiest with from the standpoint of color and plant type. See the description by Heirloom Roses here:

http://www.heirloomroses.com/louise-clements.html

The Safari rose (CLEbronze) that I am referring to, is the one that was bred by John Clements (who also bred Louise Clements, the rose that he named after his red-headed wife). This is another rose that has a well-branched plant that grows into a tidy globe shape in our garden. We have not seen "octopus" canes on this rose, which gets around 5 ft high and 4 ft wide. It will at times get some coral tones, but at other times we get pure orange flowers. This rose has produced flushes that has completely obscured the foliage-perhaps a better landscape rose that for cutting. see the description by Heirloom Roses here:

http://www.heirloomroses.com/safari.html

I have grown Voodoo. It produced a plant that was between 6 and 7 feet tall. I remember that the foliage was unusually dark and that the flowers were more in the 4-5 inch range, a bit small for the size of the plant. The color was usually more in the red-orange range and had some coral tones which you may not care for. I had my plant for 4-5 years and it unexpectedly just died-don't know the reason. It had not been attacked by gophers. I have not grown Chris Evert but considered it.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm a bit down. Checked my 2 roses and both have rust and powdery mildew. In this climate where there is lots of fog and salt spray I don't know, it could be a never ending battle and I don't spray. There are old HTs here that seem to have adapted. I usually don't do anything to help them except put on systemics. I guess hardiness is really important now.

• pat_bamaz7
    8 years ago

Hi Hollie,

I grow both Chris Evert & Voodoo here in the hot, humid southeast. PM & rust are rarely a problem for roses here, but blackspot is a terrible issue for almost all roses in our climate, so I do spray fungicides as needed. Both CE & Voodoo will blackspot if not sprayed, but neither are bs magnets like some roses here. Both have beautifully colored foliage to play off their orange blooms...CE with dark blue green leaves & Voodoo with shiny green ones. Both are nicely fragrant & make great cut flowers. Voodoo is a much bigger (and very thorny) bush than CE. Both have rather stiff HT type growth habit, but Voodoo is fuller than CE. Both will get a bit of "bare knees" here by end of season...but in their defense, both are in mixed beds with lots of flowers filling in through the season at their bases that I'm sure contribute to their loss of leaves down low (black eyed susan try to smother CE and salvia & milkweed do the same to Voodoo).

Chris Evert

Voodoo

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Pat, I don't know that you remember but you convinced me to plant Over the Moon and that was such a good suggestion, OTM is doing great except for the rust and powdery mildew. This area by the beach has lots of fog, salt spray and these days shade as the sun moves further south, so they are bound to get these diseases. But the HTs around here in the same conditions that were planted over 30 years ago seem to have adapted to all these conditions and are putting out blooms, so I hope mine adapt too.

I love the color of Chris Evert, perfect for me since she has a orange-yellow hue. I don't like the red on VaVoom as much but I do see it in nurseries here, leading me to think it is a good performer in this area.

Pat, since you have so many roses, can you tell me which have been the most disease free of your roses, including floribundas? I won't be planting any Austin or OGRs, but I will be planting more floribundas that have some gold, orange hues.

Thanks and gorgeous photos. I've seen some photos of VaVoom where is was a clear orange and many people love it. Is it just now in Fall that it takes on so much red?

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    8 years ago

You might try growing Playboy--roses with fewer petals do better when you have part shade as opposed to full sun. You might also look for HTs with fewer petals and avoid modern varieties with lots of petals. I learned about this suggestion from Mike Chute, who gave a talk on sustainable roses at the last CT Rose Society meeting.

http://rosesolutions.net/

• hollie9
    8 years ago

I meant VOODOO not Vavoom, darn it those names are similar. Thanks Pat for your advice, I'm trying to stay away from reds so Voodoo is out. I originally wanted to grow roses I could cut and bring in for the vase but maybe my conditions here just aren't good enough. OTM is growing large and lots of gorgeous foliage but has a bit of rust, not all over though. It seems so vigorous I'm hoping OTM will throw off rust and PM. I did get some good vase roses from OTM and it is such a bloom machine.

I planted Livin Easy in another part of my front yard and it's been doing well, I didn't see any rust of pm on it today. I may have to plant one of the two you posted but are their flowers going to hold in the vase at all? They are great landscape roses.

I'd love to have Chris Evert but worry it would succumb to my diseases.

Thanks again Pat

• pat_bamaz7
    8 years ago

Easy Going & Easy Does It are great roses on the bush, but not in the vase. My best floribunda for cutting is White Licorice, but not sure the color would work for you (pale yellow fading to creamy white). It has a strong fragrance, good vase life and decent disease resistance.

White Licorice

Here is White Licorice with Julia Child (JC does okay as a cut flower, too, if you don't mind short stems)

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Pat, you're right about the color of white licorice not being what I need. I was thinking Tuscan Sun and Honey Perfume might be able to beat the diseases I have, and was planning to try them this year.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago

It took several years for my WF to get going. Tuscan Sun has been extremely clean here, but it is not a tall grower.

The wall behind WF is 4' tall.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, Wildfire gets tall! I'm going to have to move it down a bit if it gets that wide too. I sure hope it works here. Glad to hear WF does get going! Mine is not a vigorous grower so far but maybe it's putting down roots.

I love Tuscan Sun, it has made a good cut flower for me in the Valley. You are inland from the ocean a bit so you may be able to get better results than me. But thanks Hoov, love to see that photo of WF, I've never seen a mature one and the bush.