SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ealdwood

LED Grow light coverage, distance, and how long per day?

ealdwood (10a)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone!

I've been reading the forum and internet on lighting for succulents/cacti.

I decided on thisLED one: 12 watts and fits e27 socket from Amazon, and may be getting a second one after seeing how much I like it and what I find out from this post!

Reasons why I like this purchase:

1. My collection is pretty small, I don't have precise measurement yet but I think they take up a little more than 2 square feet.

2. Something small for indoor space only. South facing window's sunlight is just not enough.

3. Wanted something energy efficient (doesn't kill the bill) and does not generate a lot of heat.

4. LED's are...what's the term.."directional"? <--I'm still not sure how that makes them different from other types of light but I'm guessing the light doesn't escape from the sides..I don't know. I had a really old fluorescent growlight that bleached the color off of a nearby vaccuum. Pretty...interesting.

What I don't like about it:

5. Wow it is so purple. SO purple.

6. The specs on amazon says it covers 2'. I'm hanging it about 11 inches away from the tip of the plant directly below it and I still feel the spread/coverage of the light is more like...half of that. (I'll measure more precisely when I go back.)

Questions:

Q1. I read the awesome grow light guide on cactiguide.com, which said basically aim for 20w per square feet. Since this light is 12w, I automatically calculated that I need two of it. Is that a correct assumption?

(Sorry-hope this is not confusing. As I mentioned above, this product's amazon specifications said it will cover roughly 2', but I hanged it above my plants (which I painstakingly reorganized into a 2 sq ft square-ish configuration with higher light needs closest to the light) and I feel like I still need two to fully cover all my plants.)

Q2. In addition to cactiguide.com, I read dormgrow as well which basically says different ranges depending on how powerful the LED is. Okay er...I just assume I have a pretty basic LED so it seems that 11 inches distance from plants isn't too bad. But then I went back and read cactiguide and it says distance really doesn't matter, in fact an enclosure is more important to refocus all lights back onto plants. <--Which I'm guessing is N/A for LED because it's directional...?

I'm worried because all the posts on this forum indicate 6 inches (plus or minus depending on plant response) is the best distance from plants. Should I just wait maybe a month and see how my plants respond, and move closer/farther as needed?

Q3. I read about photoperiodism and how important it is not to mess with the summer growers, fall growers, winter growers' growth cycles as they need to spend/conserve energy properly to look their best/flower their best. Winter is coming (doo roo roo roo...doo roo roo...GoT theme song) and the amount of sunlight my plants get on a good fall day is from 10am to...3pm.

Since I have plants that are winter growers versus summer growers, doesn't that mean I'm doomed and I will no matter what mess up their cycle?

Should I not care, and just aim to maximize the amount of hours of light they get to maybe 8 hours a day? So I will turn the light on so they get 3-4 more hours of light in addition to the 3-4 hours of light they get from the window?

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the vague details. I'll try to update when I get better measurements of area I need to cover.

ealdwood

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County