SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leirin

Having Trouble Warming up to Step Grandson

leirin
8 years ago

I have been married to a wonderful man for 21 years. He has 2 daughters from a previous marriage who were 9 and 6 when we got married. I was never that into kids and never really wanted a family of my own but when I married him, I was determined to be a good stepmom. Since my husband had shared parenting I was very involved with the girl's lives. We did many things as a family over the years that I enjoyed more than I thought I would and I am proud to say I have wonderful relationships with both of my stepdaughters. The oldest daughter is now married and has 2 young boys, the oldest is 4. I am having such a hard time warming up to this child and I don't know why. He is a very well-behaved, intelligent little boy but for some reason I just can't relate to him, and the feeling is definitely mutual. Whenever he comes to visit, he will go to my husband and give him a big hug totally unsolicited but he will barely acknowledge me unless coaxed by his parents. I keep hoping our relationship will improve as he grows and matures, and I am not happy with myself at all for feeling this way but at the same time I can't help how I feel. I really want to like him. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored