SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jack_hamm66

Jesse Hildreth!!!!

Verdi Guy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

The other week when Ingrid mentioned she'd just received and email from Rose Petals Nursery saying her copy of Jesse Hildreth was in stock and shipping soon, I immediately went online and ordered the last available one at the time, I guess, because when I checked the "In Stock Roses" immediately after placing my order this rose was out of stock!

Today my plant arrived safe and well. It was shipped yesterday and after all the 135 mile trip to Gainesville is not that far from me and I probably could have driven there and back and picked up the plant cheaper than the FedEx shipping I paid, but time is waste of money. LOL

The plant is really bushy and much larger than my first two roses purchased from Rose Petals Nursery. It even has a fat flower bud which I will not pinch off as I, like Lot's wife, can resist everything but temptation.

I'm so excited to have this plant as I adore the romance and mystery of the legend surrounding it.

Jack

Comments (33)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

I still don't have mine; for some reason my shipping date must be later than yours. Your plant is nice and bushy, although rather short. Ours had better turn out spectacular for $62+! Since you're much closer I imagine it wouldn't be as expensive for you, though.

Verdi Guy thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Related Discussions

Another Foundling: "Jesse Hildreth"

Q

Comments (7)
    Ingrid -- The dogs are Tourist-aimed knockoffs, but I've had them for 45 years, and I love them. And somehow they make a good foil for those delicate blooms, I think
    ...See More

Not mine, but a nice Jesse Hildreth

Q

Comments (12)
    Yes ma'am. It was originally in a more exposed position, closer to an ancient, well established and very vigorous Ugni molinae or Chilean Guava hedge. That area gets much more direct, full sun as it isn't shaded from the western and southern sun so water and heat stress are significantly greater due to the exposure and probable underground root competition. Where it is now, there is much greater shade protection from the massive trees in the neighboring properties so there isn't the heat issue of the original situation. There also aren't the root competition issues, though there are many other plantings in the new position, but they aren't massive like that long, ancient hedge. Even in the new place, it is still in the area where Kippy has previously posted heat damage due to the 117 F heat spike. The original site would have likely been significantly worse. Lisa, this is the Crassula cooperi that followed us home from Terra Sol. It remains short and dense, perfect for adding to other succulent plantings. This is the Abromeitiella Brevifolia still in its gallon can. It's a bromeliad that makes a natural domed growth habit. Terra Sol has this one, which isn't for sale, and I want one, too! LOL!
    ...See More

This is a first for Jesse Hildreth form here...

Q

Comments (7)
    I've not been able to detect anything from Jesse other than a bitterness until that flower. The Devoniensis Michael and Don brought me has had an actual sweet-fruitiness to it from each flower it has produced. I pulled the petals from that flower and let "The Nose" smell them. He agreed it was nearly a magnolia scent.
    ...See More

"Jesse Hildreth"

Q

Comments (14)
    I knew you had planted the two varieties adjacent to each other, @Rosefolly, and was wondering how they compared as they matured in your garden. Good to know that they appeared the same to you, too. My "Jessie Hildreth" plant back then, from which I made the photos comparing it to "Westside Road Cream Tea" that I posted on HMF, survived less than a year after I got it from the SJHRG sale (when you got yours, as I recollect) -- it was the last and smallest of those available, a weak plant to begin with, which grew backwards and died after canker set in its first winter -- so I was not able to compare a more mature version of it with WRCT in my own garden. When I last visited the Sacramento Cemetery collection, just prior to its demise, there were good-sized, though not yet mature, plants of each planted across a path from each other there that I also thought appeared the same. I WAS looking forward to seeing how they progressed in future years....oh well. This is a wonderful tea, whatever its name. Nice photo, Jeri!
    ...See More
  • Verdi Guy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank You Chris209. Ingrid, the rose was only $20 but shipping was $25 I believe. As I stated in the original post, the plant is bushy and much fuller than the Souvenir de la Malmaison roses I ordered from them last year. Then, I was shocked, upon opening the container, and seeing two twigs with barely five leaves between them, but they quickly matured into fabulous specimens.

I hope yours arrive safe and sound and do well for you. We will have to compare progress. :-)

Jack

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    8 years ago

Awesome! I have to confess that I ordered one as well. Ha! It will definitely be challenged in my difficult climate, but teas do really well for me in general. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow! Excited!

Verdi Guy thanked Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    8 years ago

Oh goody, three of us to compare notes. I hope for once mine won't be the slowest to take off. The shipping on mine cost a lot more since the rose was going across the country and the only option I was given was three-day express. I'm glad that this rose is being distributed, and very quickly too. It wasn't long ago that I thought I would never have this rose. I think it's thanks to Jeri that the process was expedited.

• User
    8 years ago

I just got a wish list e-mail from RP that they have more in stock, for anyone still wishing to purchase a "Jesse Hildreth". I forgot to unsubscribe once I got my plant, but maybe someone else needs one?

Virginia

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    8 years ago

Make it four. I just got Jesse Hildreth from rosepetals too. I am so hoping he likes it here. I also had the three day express and I have high hopes. I also did not take myself off the wish list.

• User
    8 years ago

Jack, looks about as large as mine (obtained at SJHRG sale), that I've had for a year! Of course, it was the last available for sale there at the time and, thus, the"runt of the litter", a mere twig. My plant has not been a super-fast grower, but has made good progress and blooms regularly.

Verdi Guy thanked User
  • lisa hallinan
    8 years ago

got mine month or so ago, smaller, and I fear not entirely happy yet. Although, I do have some new leaves.

• jerijen
    8 years ago

Jesse Hildreth is NOT a fast-growing rose. Anyone who expects it to be huge in a year will probably be disappointed.

Like many Tea Roses on their own roots, this one will grow low and spready for some time, before it even thinks about growing upwards. Keeping it in a series of containers is not a bad strategy for this rose.

Verdi Guy thanked jerijen
  • lisa hallinan
    8 years ago

That's my plan Jeri, thanks

8 years ago

I may make an exception with mine and also keep it in containers, something I've only done for one other rose, Annie Laurie McDowell, which is finally beginning to grow. My Jesse was there today when I got home from work. No buds for me but a respectable-sized plant, maybe a little less full than Jack's, but definitely not a runt. I'm going to keep it in its original 1-gallon container until it fills out more. I'm excited for all of us!

8 years ago

Mine went into the ground where I plan on keeping a very close eye on it. We'll see. I'm also thrilled and hope the planting works. I'm a bit afraid of overwintering it in a pot outside. Inside also seemed wrong in 8b Sunset 7.

• Verdi Guy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Brittie, Shelia, vrm423, Ingrid and Lisa, I consider us all very lucky to have this magnificent rose. Truthfully, I thought that I would never get it. We must keep the forum abreast of Jesse's progress as we are all in diverse climates and this will surely be of help and interest to rosarians.

catspa, I'm amazed at the size of the plant I received. Was expecting a rooted cutting at best, and to my surprise I received a multi-stemmed bushy and budded plant. It made my day.

Jeri, I'm really grateful to you for introducing this beauty to us. The romance, mystery and legend is truly fitting of such a fine rose. I plan on growing Jesse in a container as I do all of my roses. I've got it ready and waiting and hope to pot him up Friday, weather permitting. He will receive the best of care and I hope he likes the Central Florida climate.

Jack

• User
    8 years ago

Here's a photo of my little "Jesse Hildreth" plant this morning. It seems to grow in "fits and starts"; takes a little break and looks ratty after blooming ("rattiness" enhanced by our recent heat waves, which burnt its leaf tips), but soon pushes out fresh growth and some blooms. It has quick turnaround and is a frequent bloomer, even at this size (would probably be growing a little faster if disbudded, but I've been wanting to see the blooms, to compare with "Westside Road Cream Tea").

I'm really, really hoping that some of the new folks getting "Jesse Hildreth" also have "Westside Road Cream Tea" so that they, too, can compare these two roses and weigh in with an opinion. I am becoming more convinced, even in these early days, that these are the same rose or practically so. Buds, receptacles, sepals, leaves, scent, mature flowers, etc. seem to be the "spittin' image" of each other (see bud comparisons below, see my post in July with other comparisons here). I am also struck by how much the overall "look" of the WRCT plant in bloom resembles Jeri's images of JH in HMF, especially the photo collage. I will be posting my own study photos of WRCT in its HMF file soon, to expand the info about its details there.

My little plant of "Jesse Hildreth"

Comparison of buds from this morning. JH: buds #1 and #4 (counting from left); WRCT: buds #2, #3, and #5.

A montage of different-aged blooms on WRCT:

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    8 years ago

I got my rose yesterday, gave him some rainwater and set him outside with my other young plants. It is insanely muggy out there today. I had sweat rolling down my back just by standing there. No easing JH into our climate at all, lol. Sink or swim little guy.

The pictures above are ridiculously pretty. I don't have wrct, but I'm interested in seeing how the comparison goes.

• jerijen
    8 years ago

I'm interested, too. They do look very similar, and could be the same.

It's my impression that WRCT is also not a plant that matures quickly on its own roots. And, y'know what? Another rose we've grown that had a similar pattern of growth is 'Le Pactole' -- slow to start as an own-root, but eventually becoming a very big, lusty plant.

Why do I bring up 'Le Pactole'?

I bring it up because it is another rose with fairly similar coloring, and even similar foliage, which calls to mind 'Lamarque.' And both 'Lamarque' and 'Le Pactole' go back to the lost 'Smith's Yellow Tea'. (So, btw, does 'Devoniensis' -- another rose with a passing resemblance, eh?) These roses -- gee, it just seems that they must be related in one way or another.

Has anyone, do you know, ever suggested an identity for WRCT?

• Verdi Guy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

catspa, Thanks for your interesting and informative post! Jesse is such a lovely rose. To my eye, the comparison photo is an enigma, although I will say, and this could just be prejudice on my part, that the first and fourth roses (Jesse) look slightly different up close and also when I stand back from the screen.

Your little potted fella is charming.

Jack

8 years ago

I will be very disappointed if Jesse Hildreth turns out to be WRCT, which I had in the past. Mine was own-root and it grew like a maniac and bloomed prolifically, but I was never that excited about the blooms once they opened since they had that somewhat ragged look that catspa's picture also shows. To me Jesse's blooms in the pictures I saw had a more cupped look even when almost open which made for a much more elegant appearance. Mysteriously, after two years of great bloom production and even though the bush was completely healthy, I never had another decent bloom from it. They were very small and grayish-brown; it was a complete mystery. Jeri, please tell me that Jesse is better-looking than WRCT!

• User
    8 years ago

Jeri, I've looked, but I haven't found a suggested identity for WRCT. My thought is to start looking up long-lost tea relatives of 'Lamarque' and others in the group that seem like they could be possible, like 'Mlle. Germaine Raud', then see if more info on those can be found. Rainy afternoon work (if it ever rains...). (Edit to add that I see you already suggested the Mlle. as a possibility for JH in this thread, Jeri.)

Yes, Jack, I agree they do look a little different, but as they were still attached to JH when I took the photo (and are even now -- I laid the pot on its side for the photo), I can tell you that #4 is the bud on the left in the photo of my little JH and #1 is the bud on the right. The WRCT buds also have those slight differences.

Ingrid, my WRCT, when young, suddenly went through a little, dirty brown bloom phase, too, but only for about two cycles. I attributed it to the weather and youth at the time, and it hasn't done that since, but perhaps something else went awry with your bush that was more permanent. The blooms of the first spring flush of my WRCT are more cupped, larger, and fuller than blooms later in the season, becoming more so as it matures. Here's details from an April 2015 photo (not very good):

• User
    8 years ago

It occurred to me this morning that my personal "clincher" bit of evidence for these being the same variety is one that can't be conveyed in photos, that "Jesse Hildreth" and "Westside Road Cream Tea" smell the same to me. Along with so much similarity in appearance, how often do different varieties have exactly the same scent? But, I would love to have the opinion of different noses on that point, too.

A second thought, Ingrid, is that even if the same variety, there may be clonal differences between JH and WRCT, such as a mature JH having more substantial flowers than a mature WRCT. It will be a good many years before I can say anything about that!

• Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
    8 years ago

Both are beautiful roses from the pictures! I will be interested how the new 'Jesse's' do. I have hesitated ordering from Rose Petals as my shipping costs (being also in California) were so high when I calculated. Nice to see the healthy plants received. They have so many roses that have me drooling.

8 years ago

catspa, these new pictures you've posted show more of the cupped appearance that I associated with Jesse Hildreth, and I now think they might possibly be the same rose. I kept WRCT for another year after the dirty gray blooms appeared, and when it did it again the second spring I had had enough. The fact that both smell absolutely identical would seem to be a very strong indicator for their being the same rose. Since I have no other white roses except White Pet and Souvenir de St. Anne's, I'll try to be happy with whatever I end up with, although it's by far the most expensive rose I've ever purchased.

• roseseek
    8 years ago

Plants experience "micro sports", very often degenerative, all the time. That's how apples have their tastes "removed". Fruit is constantly chemically tested for sugar levels. New trees are propagated from branches which produce fruit with less sugar so the fruit lasts longer in storage and on store shelves. Unfortunately, sugar is what also produces TASTE. If you've noticed Gala, Braeburn, the "Delicious" types and others which previously tasted good, but now don't, that is why. Yet, when you buy those varieties from tree producers, they still taste as they should. Backyard trees are propagated from trees whose fruit still tastes good. Who would buy a garden center or nursery apple tree whose fruit tastes like Styrofoam? But, grocery chains want the same variety that will last weeks on their shelves until they are all sold. The point being that these degenerative, micro mutations occur all the time in all plant types. If, for whatever reason, one of the two plants being compared happens to have been descended from one of the micro, degenerative sports, it's going to vary from the other. But, they could still be the "same" rose. Of course, the differences could also be due to viral effects where one plant is infected with a virus the other doesn't have, or a more virulent strain of the same. You can frequently see variations like these when walking large nursery fields containing hundreds of each variety of rose. That's how I found the striped sport of Patchwork. The original was very similar to Granada, in sunset shades. The sport was heavily striped. These could well be the "same" rose, but appear quite different.

8 years ago

I read somewhere (helpful I know) that Potassium deficency can cause dirty brown buds. I might try a K supplement if that happens.

• roseseek
    8 years ago

It could also be Botrytis, which can sometimes resemble camellia petal blight. Western Flower Thrips can also produce similar appearances.

8 years ago

So would these entities cause the flowers to look like small gray uglies while the rose itself still seems to be perfectly happy? This was some years ago but I know nothing major was going on with the bush itself, the leaves were dark green and the bush was growing as quickly as before, and it was so dense you couldn't see the branches. Here is a picture of WRCT when it was still doing well.

• roseseek
    8 years ago

Yes ma'am. If you take a flower, hold it upside down and tap it vigorously over a clean sheet of white paper, thrips will be those little, thin, wiry looking insects moving around on the paper. Very often, when people think it's pollen from the flower causing them to sneeze after smelling the bloom, it's actually BUGS.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    8 years ago

I received Jesse Hildreth about 6 weeks ago. It was the first order that I had ever placed with Rose Petals, and while this rose was more expensive than the norm, what I received was a healthy, decent sized plant ,that appears to be very happy thus far. WRCT is on my wish list. I was not aware of the possible relationship between WRCT and JH, but like Ingrid, the reason there are not more white roses in my garden is due to what many can look like with spent blooms. My getting out to deadhead more often would be helpful, but right now, I am crossing my fingers that the appearance of aging blooms on this bush will be tolerable because I LOVE the look of this rose bush and its blooms.

Lynn

• jerijen
    8 years ago

"Jesse Hildreth" is self-cleaning. I "deadhead" only by snapping off what's left behind. But there is no look of faded blooms, because the petals fall away.

• Verdi Guy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The little bud which came with my plant of Jesse on Tuesday last, bloomed yesterday. This is certainly a thrill. I should have been a more responsible gardener and dis-budded him, but I seek immediate satisfaction in all things and did not do it. After all, I might be dead, buried, and forgotten by the time he responds to responsible gardening.

Jack

• jerijen
    8 years ago

Truth is, I always want to see 1-2 blooms open, just to be sure what I have. :-)

8 years ago

Adorable.

Verdi Guy thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR