Dishpan Hands
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (11)
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Is this Rouge Cardinal?
Comments (3)That's what I was expecting, with the curled leaves. When the first bloom started to open, a more crimson hue...then transitioned to violet as it opened. I have four blooms now starting to open. The foliage looks identical, so maybe it's just my soil and first year planting....See MoreNon toxic cleaning supplies?
Comments (37)Maybe you meant sodium carbonate. Sodium carbonate (washing soda) isn't just a filler. It softens hard water, binding up the calcium and magnesium so that detergents are not inactivated by them. And it adjusts the pH to a level effective for cleaning. I may try Ecover just because I'm kind of compulsive about trying lots of cleaning products. But in real-world conditions of hard water that is not scalding hot, I'd expect better results from OxiClean. I get a 15-pound box of OxiClean at Costco for I think about $12. Ecover around $4-5/lb is a lot more expensive. I'd have to get equal cleaning power from 1/5 the amount by weight to break even, costwise....See MoreIs any Miele model better than Bosch 800 or Kitchenaid?
Comments (7)"Better" is relative. Occasionally, someone comes along who has a Miele and doesn't like it or who likes a different DW better. Generally most of us who have them really like and recommend them. The high end of the regular line has interior lighting and more features than most need. The website is less than completely helpful in determining differences between the various models and they keep changing the names. First decision would be lights or no lights. Then controls showing vs controls hidden. Then cabinet panel or ss panel. Then drill down into the various features -- auto door open, adjustable cutler rack etc. One divider is whether or not the china/crystal cycle is needed. If so, that's the bottom of the top of the range. If not, there are choices based on the number of cycles offered for various models and the other features. I'm someone who uses my DW every day and we are two. All my pots and pans, serveware and most everything goes into the DW daily. I've got the china/crystal cycle to use for wine glasses when we have guests. My DW is 10 and going strong and I'm hoping for another 10 years. We had another house, now sold, and I had a newer Miele with Express and the newer racking and liked it just as much. I miss the Express -- quicker cycle, however. This post was edited by rococogurl on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 12:02...See MoreAnother update: Finally ordered a dishwasher!
Comments (26)Sorry you didn't like your Miele dishwasher - we love ours, it's the best dishwasher we've ever had. We got some tips from the in-house Miele technician who installed it (not sure if they do that any more) and we've followed them carefully. For others who have a Miele, here's what we were told.: - Try to carefully follow the user manual's instructions for loading. - Keep the rock salt and rinse agent containers from getting empty. He adjusted settings for the hardness of our municipal water. We check them about once a month. - Try to avoid running the Express or shortened cycles. Use the regular cycle as much as possible, apparently the shortened ones don't last long enough to dry well. . Mieles don't have a heating element, it's true, they use a newer technology for drying. The water in the final rinse is heated by the onboard heater to a high temperature. This gets the items being washed very hot. The residual heat causes the items to shed water to produce humid air during the drying cycle, which is blown with fans against the cool stainless steel walls. Where it condenses and drains out. If you open the door before the light goes out, you interrupt the cycle. Our items are completely dry at the end. I wonder if one or both of the following things was happening with yours - first, he told us that plastic items don't get hot enough in the dry cycle to shed water, need to take those out with a dishtowel in hand. (We use little plastic in the kitchen and what we do use isn't put into the dishwasher). Second - I think you've said you live in Florida, where conditions are much more humid than in the arid West where I am. I wonder if that made a difference? We love Miele products and have several, none more so than the dishwasher. Sorry what you had didn't work out for you....See More- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
Related Stories

HOUSEKEEPINGDishwasher vs. Hand-Washing Debate Finally Solved — Sort Of
Readers in 8 countries weigh in on whether an appliance saves time, water and sanity or if washing by hand is the only saving grace
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESEdible Gardening Essentials: Tips for Traditional Hand Watering
Save the expense and hassle of a complicated garden system with a simple watering can or inexpensive hose add-ons
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN8 Kitchen Sink Materials to Consider
Learn the pros and cons of these common choices for kitchen sinks
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN8 Ways to Configure Your Kitchen Sink
One sink or two? Single bowl or double? Determine which setup works best for you
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Designer Shares Her Kitchen-Remodel Wish List
As part of a whole-house renovation, she’s making her dream list of kitchen amenities. What are your must-have features?
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGDecorate with Intention: Clutter Clearing 101
Fearlessly face disorganized areas to find the home of your dreams
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN8 Kitchen Organizing Ideas for Messy Cooks
Not the clean-as-you-go type? Not to worry. These strategies will help keep your kitchen looking tidy no matter what your cooking style is
Full Story
SAVING WATER11 Ways to Save Water at Home
Whether you live in a drought-stricken area or just want to help preserve a precious resource, here are things you can do to use less water
Full Story
MOST POPULARHow to Choose the Right Kitchen Sink
Learn about basin configurations, sink shapes, materials and even accessories and specialty sinks
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNCreate Your Own Checklist for a Well-Stocked Kitchen
Personalize the kitchen with your own must-haves from our list of top cooking tools, small appliances, pots, pans and more
Full Story
angelaid_gw