SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abick2

Fireplace dilemma. Please help!

abick2
8 years ago

So, I almost had the granite guy cut the marble for the fireplace, but then I stumbled upon the instructions manual for the fireplace, which says that the non combustible area should be at least 12''. This means from the top of the opening of the fireplace to the bottom of my mantle there should be 12''. Fireplace is installed, so at this point this completely ruined all my plans for having a wood mantle surround, because it will bring me way higher than where I want to be. I decided that my best bet is to do a non combustible surround. I found a picture I like , but I can't figure out what the dimensions of the picture might be. Please help me.

1) The surround directly after the fireplace opening. I am thinking 3 or 4". Would you agree?

2) Small layers. Are they 1.5" each?

3) Biggest outer layer 6 or 7"?

My other question how high is a good height for a hearth? I have 16" from the floor to the bottom of the opening.

Option A - a hearth of 12"

Option B- continue the design of the multiple layers on the bottom as well, which will give me a hearth of around 4".

I think I prefer a shorter hearth especially with this more contemporary design. Otherwise it looks too bottom bulky/heavy. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (20)