SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

Does island seating become more important as kids get older?

pippiep
8 years ago

I read on here, I think, that some people view island seating as becoming more important when you have teenagers. Or maybe that was my interpretation of the comments. Do you find it to be true?

The new house has a peninsula with seating, and room for a 6-person table right next to it. I like the idea of the peninsula, but my husband is still thinking about an island for prep. We're using to island prepping, but in the new kitchen, an island would need to be pretty narrow, and definitely have no seating. Or maybe we ditch the peninsula and do a larger island, potentially with seating at the end, where it can get much wider.

One thing I don't like about our current island is the seating! I really don't like to be disturbed while cooking, and I shoo my 6 & 9yo kids away if they try to sit there while I'm working. When I cook, I try to get a lot done as efficiently as possible (left over from my culinary school days). I'm not one of those moms that patiently lets kids make a mess while "helping" with cookies, as you see on TV. I'm not a social baker, at ALL. During the holidays, if you come into the kitchen and start touching things, I get snappy. Don't even try to taste the batter!

So what's the deal with teenagers and island seating?

Comments (27)