SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avalonna

Cheap & durable floor for rental kitchen

avalonna
8 years ago

Hello! We are in the process of buying our first-ever rental: an old Victorian with 3 apartments. Eventually all 3 kitchens will need to be redone, but only 1 apartment is vacant so we are starting with that one. We want to keep our costs low, but make the apartments nice enough to attract quality tenants.

We are fans of color. We LOVE Marmoleum and have already installed it in two kitchens, but that is well out of our budget. VCT tile has a similar look and there are lots of great photos of fun checkerboard patterns. and it's less than $1 per square foot! The hospital where I work has VCT tile which is colorful and looks good - I've heard complaints about VCT looking too industrial, but I like the look. I'm hesitant because of the maintenance issue. I've read that it needs to be sealed, polished, stripped, etc. every year, even in a residential setting. There seems to be some disagreement on this. I can't find any luxury vinyl tile that is colorful - it's all bland neutrals.

We are open to just about anything except ceramic tile and carpet (duh). I have a bias against products that are pretending to be wood, although I guess they are a lot better than they used to be and I'm not at all ruling them out. I would like something that wears well, is easy to maintain, and preferably can be installed by my husband (not sheet, probably). And cheap!

Comments (7)