SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tfitz1006

Mom wants to die

tfitz1006
8 years ago

Mom is 82 and has had numerous health problems over the years, mostly skeletal and muscular. Six knee revisions, back surgery. Lot of pain meds on board. Anxiety and depression has been an issue for the last six or seven years since her longtime companion died. Has a large hiatal hernia which mimics heart attack symptoms with shortness of breath-also many gastro issues which cause a lot of nausea. In hospital for 16 days now. Supposed to go to rehab soon for atrophy from this long stay. She wants to die and started refusing all non palliative care last weekend. Kidneys were affected by dye in a cat scan but some limited dialysis brought them back. So now she's not dying but she's not participating in her recovery. Sorry to ramble but I am at my wits end. Hoping anti depressant and anti anxiety starts to work. She has a very high opiate tolerance and part of this mess is that she is withdrawing from some meds. Anyone go thru anything like this? I think when she gets to rehab she will do well but I'm afraid she'll get all worked up there and then come back to ER with chest pains and then where will we be?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer