SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cski13

Looking for a new plan...

CSKI 13
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We've had to abandon our house plan (variation of Tres le fleur) due to costs (estimates came in nearing $1M and we're aiming for $650-800k; lot was purchased a year ago for $190).

We have a 1.15 acre lot w/water view (lake and wetlands area) to the North in Eastern Iowa and are looking for a house plan that will take advantage of our view of the lake, pelicans, swans and bald eagles that frequent the area. By covenants we have to have 2000 sqft above grade for a single level or 3300 sq ft if 2-story. Given our location we'll need a basement (will finish it now if we go w/a single story, later if we go w/2-story).

It's just my husband and I, but we do a lot of entertaining. Also, our adult daughters and their young (growing) families live a couple of hours away and spend long weekends and holidays with us a couple of times a year.

Welcome all thoughts, ideas, links and other suggestions (and thanks in advance for your consideration and assistance).

PS -- Our "subdivision" will consist of 8 lots total. Only one other house has started construction, immediately to the right (West) of ours and it is a very (VERY) modern design, rather unique to the area in what amounts to a rural small town (pop 8000). I have rather traditional taste and have some concern about the juxtaposition of two radically different styles in such close proximity. I have even begun to look at prairie style architecture styles as opposed to the steeper rooflines found on the capes and Georgian homes (Tres le fleur was a compromise with DH who wanted "a ranch" but is now rethinking that position based on the e$timate$ we received.) Archival Design's Parsall plan had caught my eye, but would have to be enlarged, flipped and garage straightened -- and then there is the neighbor's house to consider....

Comments (34)