SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Early medical retirement

neetsiepie
8 years ago

Any experience with having to take an early retirement due to medical reasons? I was planning to retire in about 4-5 years, but my health has taken a turn for the worse and I'm looking in to a medical retirement.

One of my health issues is considered to be a qualifying condition under the SSD guidelines of compassionate care (it's not a fatal disease, but it does have side effects that will limit my ability to work for a living). I've also recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which is another factor in my early retirement. My job cannot satisfactorily accommodate me under the ADA, so this is going to be my only choice.

So does anyone have any advice on claiming SSD and any idea what, if any medical care assistance could be available? Between my retirement pension (payable under this retirement) and SSD I can expect 60-75% of my salary-enough to live on, but if we have to pay out a lot of $ for medical insurance, it's going to be very, very tight.

Should I see an attorney? Our HR person mentioned that I will probably have to either go to very part time, and then only if I can still serve the mission of the Department, or retire and I'm quite freaked out-I've been working for nearly 40 years! At the same time, I'm somewhat excited that I'll be able to have the freedom from the 9-5, and hope to stay as active as I can as long as I can. But I still feel that at 54, I'm too young to retire.

I'd appreciate any advice since this is uncharted territory for me!

Comments (30)