SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
z_stahlecker

Peach tree 1st year shading

Hi all, I planted a desert gold peach tree (15 gallon) last spring and it did not survive the summer. The area got full sun and I deep watered it every week through the summer.

I went and bought another one (I thought I'd try a florida prince) and I also thought planting in the fall might help. I've put it in the same place since I don't have another great spot in my yard for it.

My question to the group is, should I try my hardest to try and get some shade for it next summer? It really gets full sun and I know they can do well in full sun but I'm just not sure if I should baby it the first year. I'm not really sure how I would go about shading it either. Any thoughts or tricks on this besides building a shade structure?

Also what is everyone's experience on first summer watering? I was told once a week would be OK but the nursery told me after I told them it died that I should have been watering every 2 or 3 days the first year.

I'm also going to plant a Santa Rosa Plum next to it in the next week and I'll have the same issue.

Thanks for the input!

Comments (8)