SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
privatejapanesemaplesanctuary

Japanese Maple,Picture,Osmocote,Die Back etc.Gardengal;Mike;Houzi !!!!

privatejapanesemaplesanctuary
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi JM Lovers,

Just wanted to ask a few Questions with regards to Fertilizing & Die Back

Gardengal has mentioned Osmocote as being a really good fertilizer for the Good Health of Container Grown Japanese Maples.

Will just one Osmocote Tablet be Sufficient for an average Sized Container.When is the ideal time to place the Tablets into the Containers ?

A Question also about Die Back on Japanese Maple Trees.

There seems to be an Inevitability that Japanese Maples suffer Die Back considerably more than a lot of other Trees..

I have learnt from here on the Gardenweb that Die Back removal is strongly advisable as soon as possible as it can Harbour Diseases.Aside from this it never appears to make the affected Tree look any Prettier.

My Enquiry is what causes this and is it avoidable ???

I have added a Few Photographs of a Little Lace Leaf Japanese Maple in the Back Garden.(Approximately 30" Tall,Stem is around 1" Wide).Picture taken today 9th October at 10.45am

As you rightly know this little one will soon be shedding its Leaves.It was a Lovely opportunity to take the Pics whilst she was bathed in the Morning Sunshine.

Best wishes & Happy Gardening

Stephen,Cheshire,UK

Comments (3)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Have never encountered Osmocote in a tablet form - that's a new one on me! Generally it comes in a jar with just the loose granules and I apply a small amount (1-2 Tbsp depending on container size) each spring as new growth begins. It lasts pretty much all season although I do supplement with a liquid (Dyna Gro) from time to time during the summer months as it provides a lot of the trace elements/micronutrients that Osmocote omits. I would think one tablet is sufficient for most containers.

And I am not sure I really consider the development of dead wood on JM's as 'die back'. Certainly die back can occur from winter cold damage as well as disease issues but the typical dying off of small twigs and stems is a completely natural phenomenon with JM's and nothing really to be concerned about. For whatever reason, many of these smaller stems or twigs just fail to survive and you seem to see it more with the weeping dissectum types so I am guessing it has much to do with congestion and shading. There are other trees that develop a similar trait - Styrax japonica and various birches comes to mind - so this is not unique to JM's.

privatejapanesemaplesanctuary thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • privatejapanesemaplesanctuary
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks Gardengal for the Positive Imput.It does seem the Fertilizer & Supplement Formulas do occasionally differ on Opposite sides of the Pond..

Take care Ya All

Stephen,Cheshire,UK

• avamom2012
    8 years ago

Beautiful tree. I like Osmocote, especially around summer flower plantings. I did sprinkle some in when I did transplanting last year.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida