SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elliott_tate3

need help with balcony gardenia in Charlotte

Eliot Z.
8 years ago

Hi! I am not really a "gardener," but I fell in love with gardenias and bought one at the local Lowe's that has lived in a terra cotta pot. I love the plant and have tried to care for it, but there have been some challenges... FYI, this is in Charlotte, NC. I live on a high balcony that faces Northeast, and starting now at this time of year, the balcony gets very little sun. In the summer, there is an opposite problem--the sun glares in at a direct angle and it gets really hot, then it's gone by 11:30 am.

The gardenia bloomed beautifully for a month or two at the early start of summer, but then no more blooms. I bought the below sprinkle-stuff (pictured), but it did nothing--I only used it once, could this be why? Also, it got some kind of bug infestation, but I sprayed the hyper-organic spray on it that Lowe's sold me, and they went away. However, there are still dried husks or something all over the leaves, and I don't know what to do about them.

My questions are:

1. How do I get the blooms back? Gardenia plants in the park that seem the same are still blooming and look great.

2. Do I bring the pot inside for winter? If so, when?

3. Do I need to remove these ugly, dead husk things of the critter infestation? Are they eggs or just dead bugs? If I do remove them, do I just take the whole plant in the shower with a toothbrush or something?

Help is very much appreciated! Thanks so much.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County