SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notanatural

Gardenia Care- New To This

18 years ago

I need some help and advice on growing gardenias indoors.

I've been quite terrible in the past with plants, but got this as a gift from a friend. In fact, the gift is to a 'plant of the month' so I guess I'll be getting quite a lot of them in time to come and to be honest, I think I'm beginning to enjoy this.

I've had the gardenia for exactly a week now and have been frantically doing up readings on it and yes yes, I know how hard it is to grow it indoors. But there's no point in everyone telling me that because there's nothing I can do now but try my best to take care of it.

Been trying to find a perfect spot for it. I have two, enormously high (at least 10 ft I think) south facing windows. It's much too bright for the other two plants I have (some sort of a vine and a jerusalem cherry). I haven't yet kept my gardenia by that window all day, scared of what the scorching afternoon sun could do. I get direct sunshine into those windows from about 11.30am-4pm. And in the past, if I've kept my other plants there all day, I come home from work to find them very burnt. I have found that keeping them there till about noon is best. AFter that it gets too hot.

My other window, in the bedroom is however potentially perfect- it is a south-east facing window. It gets absolutely great direct sunlight from about 8.30/9am-noon or so. The temp. in this room is also quite perfect year round. Cool in the summers and warm and cosy in the winters. In the winters, I leave the window open in the bedroom year round, even if it's snowing- and with no heater on either- that's how naturally warm it stays up there.

Does anyone have some advice?

Comments (35)