SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

Will my lemon shrub produce fruit?

cfox248
8 years ago

Hi there! Long time no see.

I recently read on here that a lemon tree requires a certain height in leaf nodes before it will produce fruit on a recent thread. This was regarding seedlings, I'm pretty sure, and my Meyer Lemon was fruiting and mature when I bought it from the garden center.

My lemon is a bit of a weirdo. It started out as a kind of tree shaped tree, but it had a couple branches at the very bottom at soil level. It had some fruit (including the branches down on soil level). Then a bunch of stuff happened and the main trunk died. No problem, it seemed, as the lemon tree sent up some strong, impressive new branches from the couple that were at soil level and is now too tall and awaiting pruning and it became a shrub more than a tree. However, it hasn't flowered at all.

I was wondering if maybe because the main trunk died back, it wouldn't flower any more? It no longer has X amount of vertical nodes - it doesn't even have a trunk any more, it is a shrub consisting entirely of branches, pretty much. I was assuming the lack of flowering was from some other thing (probably lack of outdoor light at the moment) - do I have a doomed lemon shrub, or since it has flowered and fruited already will it probably fruit again?

Courtney

Comments (17)