SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_b79

Small oak for prairie garden planting? Or coppice a burr oak?

nick_b79
8 years ago

I've devoted approximately 1,000 sq. ft of my yard to a mesic prairie garden I've spent the past year developing. From last fall to this fall, I did site prep to kill off the existing grass and weeds and frequently tilled to exhaust the seed bank, and just started putting in prairie seedlings/plugs this fall. Shortly, I'll be topping that off with a fall sowing of a prairie seed mixture I mostly collected myself from local sources.
Anyway, I have a spot where I could put in a small tree to compliment the site. A full-sized burr oak like the ones I walk under in the oak savanna remnants I hike is far too large, and would eventually grow into the adjacent power line. The only dwarf species of oaks I've been able to locate that are Z4 hardy are dwarf chinkapin oak and bear oak, and I'm leaning towards bear oak for the resemblance to burr oak.
My other option is to plant a burr oak sapling, and then coppice it every 5-6 years or so whenever it approaches 15-20 ft in height. I'm not so sure I like that idea though. I know a burr oak can easily grow 4 ft a year when regenerating from an established root system, but it would still leave a gap in the planting every few years.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (6)