SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Another season winding down

....... sad but happy at the same time as I won't have to be rushing around trying to keep things from dying due to the drought we had this summer. I still have to collect more seed from 'Red Eye Fall', 'Berlotti Nostrami'
and 'Tennessee Greasy Mix', I planted two different seed colors this year of TGM,
blk. speckled on grey and red speckled on beige, so far all seed
collected has been identical, blk. speckled on lt. beige. When this is
done I can put the garden to bed for the winter.

In the main bean bed I
did the no dig method this year, last fall I cleaned up the bed, put
down a thick bed of straw and planted through it, everything grew
gangbusters so will try it again next year. I'll pull the few weeds that
did manage to poke through spread some compost where my bean poles will be and lay down more straw. Hardly any weeding and the few oats that germinated were easy to pull.

Bean wise, this has been a fantastic year, yes the 90º + weather did slow things down a bit, made this hose dragging old gal a little grumpy to say the least especially with the never before water restrictions we've had (not used to be up at 6 am to get everything watered with a hand held hose with a shutoff in the 2 hrs. allowed). Beans were later than usual and of course that made seed collecting later but it looks like I'll have it all done before the frost hits.

I did get some green pods on my 'Aeron Purple Star' runners but did get quite a few blk. purple pods. This is the delicious, tender, stringless runner from Wales. My vines were too tangled by the time I spotted the green pods to rogue the offending vines out but hey these beans were delicious so not a great loss. Next year I'll interplant with a vulgaris variety so the offenders if any can be pulled easily.

I did have a couple of disappointments the 'Chevier Vert' were a bust, the seed I had been given wouldn't germinate too old I'm thinking and there was one or two more bush beans that I was only growing samples of didn't produce very well. Only managed half a dozen or so seed from my 'Candy' sample but the were a true bush type. The gal I got them off is going to grow them again next year to make sure but she thinks when she grew them they were a true bush not vining.

I've been growing 'Barksdale' every year since George sent me some seed in 2009, this has been my favorite wax bean to date, so tender and a lovely buttery taste to them. It has been said that this is a iffy variety for a main crop but I'm working on getting it acclimatized to growing conditions here and believe it's finally happening. Even with the unbelievable heat we had (yeah I know only warm to some of you) They outproduced themselves, the pole was loaded with beans top to bottom, had quite a few feeds as well as the best looking seed I've ever collected from them. Pods crispy dry on the pole and sooooo easy to shell compared to 'Lazy Wife' (the true lazy wife) round seed in pods when completely dry were packed so tightly in their jackets they really gave my fingers a workout releasing them from their prisons.

Oh and I have one more pole bean 'Big Mama' still to pick, pods at the leathery stage now so can be picked if the weather turns. This one was planted late as the first ones I planted turned out to be something else so discarded them. I finally tracked down another source, Sunshine Farm in Kelowna. Looks like it's another bean variety that needs preserving, they were hard to find. I only planted 3 or 4 seeds as I thought it might be to late to collect seed but it looks like I lucked out, haven't tasted these so can't comment on the flavor but the pods are a pretty purple.

I grew lots of other bean varieties successfully, some only samples but all of these did well including 'Soission Vert', I only ended up with one plant last year, most of the germinated seed looked diseased so turfed it. From the seed collected last fall I grew 4 o 5 vines, have to say they produced a bumper crop of seed, I found these you actually have to feel to see if they are dry enough to pick for seed, deceiving little devils LOL.

How about you guys, have a good season?

Annette

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio