SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

The growing season is winding down for me

What a year it turned out for beans here, although planted a little late they have done very well, if the weather holds I'll even be able to collect a bit of seed from 'Flamingo'.

Some of the varieties I grew really outdid themselves in the seed department. 'Tennessee Cutshort', 'Berta Talaska', 'Emilia's Italian Pole' (aka Auntie Vi) and 'White Hull Pink Tip' this last one I only had 3 plants, one of the plants turned out to be a half runner is this normal for this bean?

I grew 'Taiwan Pole' for the first time, I only had a few seeds given to me so grew them for seed. The straight pods were between 10 and 12 ", dried, the pods were really thin and brittle, very easy to shell. Original sold by Salt Spring Seeds, When I asked Dan for a little history he said he got them from someone who brought them back from Taiwan.

Mr. Tung's from some older seed I had, I picked the dried pods a week or so ago, when I went to pull the plants yesterday I noticed one vine was still green, flowering and had a few beans that were completely different from Mr. Tung, shorter, green, straight pods that almost looked like a greasy bean. I picked one and steamed it for a couple of minutes expecting it to be a tough little sucker but it turned out to be stringless, tender and very tasty. I should try one as a full bean. I've had one oddball cross/mutation from this variety before but when I grew that one out two years in a row in isolation the seed changed both color and shape both years.

The Barksdale pods are still not quite dry so I'm going to leave them as long as I can. This is the only bean I have to grow every year, one of my favorites.

Every day I pick a few more pods off the Andean beans, several different seed coats in the mix. This has been a fun experiment, I think this one is grown for dry beans so doubt if I will grow it again.

I bit the bullet and bought a small freezer, somewhere to store seed, free up the fridge and get rid of some of these containers I have stacked everywhere.

So, what beans have done well for you and what flopped, like the Chinese red Noodle I attempted to grow, I think I managed to pick 6 beans total.

Annette

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting