SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shancap

please help with bar stools - kitchen island

shancap
8 years ago

I am trying to find bar stools and can't decide backs or no backs. I want backs but I don't think they will fit on the one side near the fridge. it would be too tight. Do these go? Or which ones do you like better? Can I mix 2 with backs and 2 without? Thanks for your help!

Comments (34)

• practigal
    8 years ago

Are they for looks or for use? Those look stunningly uncomfortable....and not in keeping with the aesthetic of the beautiful kitchen. Why not backs? And arms and a cushy seat cushion too? Isn't the whole point to sit back and relax with a glass of wine and talk to the cook, all the while being out of the cook's way?

• Jancy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I like both top ones (not the rattan) but I wonder about the one with the back if they swivel, will they bash into the counter top and chip it? I'd go for the no back round ones. I'd like to be able push them under the counter and out of the way and not see the backs sticking up or have them in my way.

• Related Discussions

Please help with bar stools

Q

Comments (9)
    I like the idea of having some dark color to coordinate with your dark hardware. But agree that all dark might be overwhelming to your light palate. What about a wrought iron or bronze with a light leather seat and backrest?
    ...See More

Help me pick bar stools please

Q

Comments (11)
    It doesn't look like At Home has stores in California. The last stool I posted is online only...I like the look too, just think my butt would get sore :) Seems like no one especially likes the upholstered stools I posted? Here are a few more without the tufting from Wayfair...I wish they'd show pics of the backs! Laurel Foundry $192 Sunpan Modern West Vintage $332
    ...See More

Please help me narrow down choices - dining room chairs and bar stools

Q

Comments (21)
    Your place looks really rustic, reminds me of our old ski house. What do the legs on your table look like? I don't like your first chair option for your place. Depending on the table legs I think the last two chairs might be a good option. I like the turquoise stool in either that or a cream color. I like the idea of the dark stained legs because of the nice contrast they give to the pine in the house.
    ...See More

Height for counter bar stools for kitchen island

Q

Comments (4)
    Our stools are 25.5” high for a 36” to top counter & works fine Is comfortable for eating & reading. Ours have leather padded seats & also have backs. No arms- hate arms as just get in the way.I had read the Recommended space between seat & counter is 10” - 12”. I think range accounts for height of person. Swivels that can adjust height are probably the ideal but hard to find in a swivel stool with a back which we insist on because we sit at our Counter a lot. BTW we just had our counter cut from a 42” bar height down to 36” Counter height so we had your same dilemma. The local store we bought our new stools from let us bring one home for a sit test!
    ...See More
  • johnsoro25
    8 years ago

I agree with Jancy about the backs. But if you definitely want some with back I would mix and match the RH stools. They don't look uncomfortable to me- think they will be great in your kitchen.

• mark_rachel
    8 years ago

I'm not a fan of backs just because I like the clean look of them tucked under the island when nobody is using them. I would personally go with wood that matches your island so they blend in with the island (at least the legs). But I do like these if you must have a back….

• johnsoro25
    8 years ago

How about the saddle stools from PB? My kids were really pushing for stools with backs, but I got those so I could tuck them in, and they love them. Really comfortable. May have an espresso color to match.

• dcward89
    8 years ago

When we first finished our kitchen we bought ultra cheap, no back/no cushion stools until I could get bar stools made to match our dining room table/chairs. Those no back stools were so uncomfortable no one ever sat in them longer than 5 - 10 minutes. The ones we had made have backs and I put cushions on them...now my DH will sit and talk to me the whole time I am making dinner. My preference would be for something with a back for support...what's the point in any kind of chair if no one sits in them.

• agk2003
    8 years ago

I love both of those with and without the backs but I think in your space either a low back or no back would be best so that they don't block the view of the fridge when not in use. Also definitely your space has a more refined elegant feel and those stools have more of a modern vibe.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

One thing to note, if you have kids around and opt for swivel stool with backs, make sure they are well trained not to spin them into the counter edge :o

• bbtrix
    8 years ago

I agree with practigal. Go with comfort. I have the ones mark_rachel showed you which blend with my dark island. They are extremely comfortable and have a low profile.

hey protrude about 9" into the aisle when tucked under the counter. How much aisle width do you have by the fridge?

• amykath
    8 years ago

You have a lovely kitchen! I cannot see the swivel chairs in your space at all. I think one of these, with our without a back would compliment your space perfectly! They are from World Market. Ballard has some as well with cane backs.

• mark_rachel
    8 years ago

These look fun!

• Lisa
    8 years ago

I think the first two are too industrial for your kitchen. Beautiful kitchen, btw! I think the ones that aktillery9 posted would be perfect!

• fldirt
    8 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning but the stools that you show don't really go with it. I like any of the ones that aktillary9 posted. I am looking for stools for my remodel also. And yes, I think you can mix & match with the backs.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Your kitchen is too elegant for those chairs that look like chairs for an office. I like the ones that aktillery9 just posted much better for your space.

• Buehl
    8 years ago

I also think none of the stools will be comfortable or go with your Kitchen. The rattan one looks like something for an outside pool or deck bar and the others look like chairs used to put kids in the corner for a time out! Sorry, but that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the top one!

The round backless one looks like a stool in a doctor's office or hospital.

Backs, cushions, and swivel! The three together make sitting at the counter so much more comfortable.

If you have stone counters, your stools will not chip your counters - but the counters may chip the stools. However, I would still go with the swivel. It is so much easier getting on/off swivel stools - especially when there is a tight aisle behind the island as is stated by the OP in this case. (If you have less than 50" or so, it will be tight with that refrigerator right there.)

• johnsoro25
    8 years ago

I also like the stools aktillery suggested. But upholstered cushions are not an option with my kids. They can handle swivel, but the mess I would have to clean with cushions? I shudder to think about it ;)

Is this the only seating in your kitchen, or do you have a table? We only eat snacks and such on our stools. If you are using them as a place for a leisurely meal, you may want to think more about comfort over function.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Chairs such as those that aktillery showed can be upholstered with indoor/outdoor fabrics which are practically destruction proof.

• practigal
    8 years ago

OK, I don't like the color and the style is not quite what goes with the kitchen but you can see that with soft leather arms there shouldn't be anything to chip the counter. You get the swivel, you get the back, you get the arms and you get lots of cushy comfort. Why would you settle for a hard flat wooden bench that you would not sit on for more than five minutes? Wouldn't something like these in the red leather look great?

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

While I normally love the circular back on the chairs aktillery showed, I don't like this with your island, and the lighter color of the wood is distracting. (I'm just guessing at heights here).

Too informal, but you get a feel for how they can disappear.

shancap thanked oldbat2be
  • oldbat2be
    8 years ago

One last - and remember you should be able to provide your own material for many barstools.

Barstool

shancap thanked oldbat2be
  • jedwaking
    8 years ago

I have the RH machinist stools at my island. Have never had a problem with the backs chipping the granite counter. As for comfort, the seats are very comfortable, but the narrow footrest can be uncomfortable if you're bare-footed (which is a very minor issue). The seat backs are adjustable up and down.

As for the style, I think they would go in your kitchen depending on what else you use to decorate. My kitchen is a bit "farmhouse industrial" and they go well.

Shancap, who made your cabinets? The top and bottom moldings on your wall cabs look a lot like mine, which are custom-made Amish cabinets.

• shancap
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would love backs on bar stools but don't know if enough room on fridge side. The island is 80x59. The depth on the fridge side is 48 inches. Attached is our kitchen table and chairs. Thanks everyone for all the help! @oldbat2be - Thanks for the mock layouts!

• brdrl
    8 years ago

For something totally different... What about a "ghost" stool? I love these. Will visually disappear when pushed in.

• Lisa
    8 years ago

i have the same configuration as you with my double ovens and fridge behind the island seating. One of the best decisions I made for my remodel was getting a counter depth fridge AND getting rid of my stools that had backs and swiveled. What a difference it made not only in when someone is getting something out of the fridge or oven (now they can pivot to the island to set something down) but also for parties where you use the island as a buffet (the stools don't get in the way and guests can reach over them to get food). Plus they don't take any coveted aisle space when walking through. Here is my set up:

I'm wondering if my stools would work in your kitchen? They are super comfy because of the cushion and I don't miss the backs or the swivels of my old ones like I thought I would.

Here are some others:

• Bunny
    8 years ago

lcskaisgir, are those stools all from the same source?

• Lisa
    8 years ago

No, a couple from Wayfair, a couple from Pottery Barn, one from Overstock, and one from Frontgate.

• shancap
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@lcskaisgir - I do like yours, where are they from? Are the legs black or dark espresso? The last one you posted there is a grey base similar from Ballards & Design that I liked as well. The Frontgate stools are all mahogany and worries about red tones. Thx for your help! Beautiful kitchen you have!

• Lisa
    8 years ago

Mine have black legs. They are from Wayfair. I absolutely love your kitchen! Beautiful hood and island and I love the chandelier. What kind of counters do you have?

• Mary Blanchard
    8 years ago

Look at these: https://www.tractorstool.com/ They have variants in black and grey(?) color. I think one of them will be good on your kitchen.

• jpmom
    8 years ago

Something with the nailhead trim looks nice, if you want a dark stool.

• jpmom
    8 years ago

Oh, and your kitchen is gorgeous. I love your lighting.

Here are a couple from Ballard that I like for your space.

I like stools with a back - especially if you will be sitting for long periods of time

Lots of fabrics to choose from:

Something about this one spoke to me — I think with your chandy and black accents. With a light seat, it would look classy.

• jellytoast
    8 years ago

jedwaking, what flooring did you use in your kitchen?

• jedwaking
    8 years ago

Jellytoast, they are red oak with Minwax cherry stain. 3.5 inch width in a mix of higher grade (longer lengths that have less character) and lower grade (with knots, worm holes and heavy grain patterns that are normally culled out of the higher grades). I like the character.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!