SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692983

My reply and more to Rosesstink question about long distance driving.

User
8 years ago

I felt it was better to start my own thread, as this was as much about a surprise for my cousin Jeannie as it was about a longish road trip.

For over two decades after seeing the aftermath of a horrific accident on Christmas morning on I-80 I suffered from anxiety attacks before any road trip. The fear was not about the driver of our vehicle, but about the stupid things others do on the highway and the possible results of those actions. I feared both going with my family or even worse staying home without them. It was horrible for both myself and hubby, who didn't understand my fear. Heck, I didn't understand my fear for years. Once I realized what was causing this craziness I learned to control it, but still didn't want to drive very far on my own. Then.....
You all know about my cousin Jeannie, well she went on Hospice two weeks ago today. Her 61st birthday was the 21st and I very much wanted to spend it with her. Though I'd long sense gotten over the anxiety attacks, I still found it very hard to even think about driving a long distance by myself. Though I did drive 4 hours to Iowa City when she in the hospital last March, it was long and stressful. Home is another two hours away, so I wasn't sure at all how well I'd do. But I love her and this could very well be her last birthday and I wanted it to be something very special. I texted her son to ask what he thought about my coming. He loved the idea and invited me out to dinner on the river with them to celebrate. He thought how I planned on surprising her was great too.
So, I packed everything the night before, got up and left for the six hour drive. I'd forgot to write a birthday message on fb so I pulled over long enough to do so, saying I'd call her later but had a very busy morning ahead of me.
When I arrived at her home I pulled up so she couldn't see my vehicle and called as I said I would. We talked a bit as I carefully got out of my car and walked up her sidewalk, making sure to stay out of her view and talking soft so wouldn't hear me as their front door was open. I then told her how much I'd love to see her today, she replied, as I knew she would, that she would have loved that too. By then I was on her front porch and told her to look out her door. She did, and of course was so surprised to see me. The look on her face was priceless and I wish I'd have planned to have someone capture it, though I'll never forget it.
We spent the day visiting with each other and other family members that stopped by. Had a wonderful dinner on the river before heading back to her house after picking up something she needed on the way home. The next morning she and her hubby showed me the way to some river spots that I had never seen before that were amazingly beautiful and so relaxing as we sat and visited some more. We also stopped at Eagle Point Park, a favorite of everyone at home. I took them to dinner at one of their favorite spots, drove out to see their son's new home then visited an aunt that wasn't able to make it to her house on her birthday before the day was done. I visited my folks graves, popped in to a place where my bestest friend and two of my other cousins work, then visited with Jeannie and Jeff for a couple hours before I headed back home, stopping along the way to visit for a couple hours with my Mother-in-Law before heading home. Poured like crazy my last half hour, but I arrived home when it had slowed to a drizzle just long enough for me to get everything inside with the help of my son and grandson that met me at the garage door.
It was such a wonderful trip I'm planning on doing it again, hopefully next month when the eagles arrive at Eagle Point Park.

Here's some shots I took while home.
Jean and Jeff sitting on a bench at Lock and Dam 13. Its heartbreaking to see how much she's age since I saw her in March, but she still have the sweetest smile and kind eyes.

Eagle Point Park is across the river from where we were in Illinois at the dam.

You'd never guess she is only a year and a half older than I am.

The water is less than a foot in most places in the next few pictures. It's backwater from the dam which made a beautiful habitat for water foul (we saw cranes and even three blue herons) and turtles. Next time I plan on taking my digital camera. These were all taken with my Samsung Galaxy S5 camera. I really missed having the 42 times optical zoom on my camera.

I have to leave to pick up Owen and it won't let me load more in this post, so I'll add the rest when I get back.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus