SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milieu_serene

Long circle (1/2 mile) drive suggestions Zone 8, Ga, US

milieu_serene
14 years ago

I am looking for recommendations and discussion regarding landscape design of a rather long drive. I can possibly set up drip irrigation for the very long drive. Total drive distance of just over 1/2 mile.

I don't really want a lot of maintenance involved once established.

We MAY in the "bowl" between the pasture drive and pond put in some fruit trees, grape vines, and azaleas and roses and who know what else.

Below are aerials of the farm. I would definitely like to line the circular drive with foilage with year-round interest. I may also like to line the public dirt road with foilage of year-round interest.

This is a pretty broad view.

If you draw a line North to South from the norther part of the pasture to the boundary just south of the pond, it is approximately 1,437 feet, or 479 yards, or .27 mile.

If you follow the dirt road from North to South until it makes a turn to the southeast, you will see where the driveway leaves the road in a southwesterly direction. Once you travel 250 feet southwest, the driveway forks. The light blue "line" goes around the highest part of the pasture thence into the oak ridge, through the oak trees and around behind the house and to the garage. The other fork goes initially south (red) then turns kinda westerly (light blue line) and goes across pond dam and up to garage.

{{gwi:54988}}From 2009-12-08 Farm Aerials

This is a closer view.

{{gwi:54989}}From 2009-12-08 Farm Aerials

And an even closer view.

{{gwi:54990}}From 2009-12-08 Farm Aerials

My current plans contemplate using a possible combination of the following plant materials:

Double Knockout Roses

Fashion Azaleas

Encore Azaleas

Camellia (white, early blooming - Nov to Dec, such as Mine-No-Uki OR red such as Yuletide)

Camellia (red, late blooming - Jan to Mar, such as Blood of China)

Crape Myrtles Natchez

Crape Myrtles reds variety

Dogwood

Bradford Pears

The desired effect is to have blooms of some sort MOST of the year AND to have attractive fall color.

I am not after an "immediate" effect and would like to keep costs at a minimum. For example, I would like to use camellias that I can legally air layer and transplant. I can get the Fashions for about $2 ea. I can get the crape myrtles right now for about $5 each. Not so sure about the dogwoods (but do have thousands of seeds which I have successfully propagated from).

Part of our plans in particularly in the oak ridge to the west of the house are to add a multitude of different azaleas, camellias, witch hazel, dogwoods, etc. There are planned nearly 2 miles of nature trails.

Comments (10)