SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tibbrix

Sub Zero or GE Monogram?

tibbrix
8 years ago

I have a very small kitchen, which I am about to to an upgrade on. I have to have a 24-in depth refrigerator so that it is in line with the counters, otherwise, two people can't work in the kitchen. I've looked at all of them: Sub Zero, GE Monogram, KitchenAid, Thermador, Jenn-Air, and boiled it down to being between the Sub Zero with the two freezer drawers or the GE Monogram. I do not want French doors or side-by side.

I love the Sub Zero design, but the price tag is daunting (and I would be getting panels). I also like that Sub Zero has the two compressors, one for each section. I like the interior of the GE Monogram, that gallon jugs can fit in the door pockets. The price tag is also much more palatable with the GE. But, the GE doesn't have two compressors.

I had decided I would bite the bullet and get the Sub Zero as I just love the design and the two compressors. However, a friend of mine who builds high-end homes told me to not get a Sub Zero, that I'd be having expensive repairs two years from now, etc. A friend told me she'll never get a Sub Zero again because the repairs are so expensive. Other people, though, have told me they love their Sub Zeros and have had it for 20 years, my parents, for example. My builder friend told me that, "maybe they're not building them like they used to."

I really don't want to spend that kind of money on a refrigerator that is going to need a repair, let alone and expensive one, two years from now, or even eight years. I would expect a fridge at that price to be very reliable and for a good amount of time.

Does anyone here have an opinion on the Sub Zero v. Ge Monogram? Any experience with the Monogram?

I have a GE Profile gas range which I like a lot. I'll be replacing my DW, Range and microwave with GE products, mostly because I want the slate color. I really dislike SS, and I don't want white or black.

Thanks!

Comments (29)