SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter

Stove replacement- what do I do about the hood/micro?

beaglesdoitbetter
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a stove I don't love the look of in my FL house kitchen (BTW- these cabinets are a glazed white and prettier than they look in this picture). See it here:

I'd like to put in this pretty little guy instead (either induction, or gas if I can get gas lines run)

But I don't know what to do about the above-the-range micro. It's actually a GE Speed Oven of some type (and I believe it wasn't cheap, although I only use it as a microwave) and it is almost new (people who had the house before just remodeled the kitchen shortly before putting house on the market).

Can I leave the above-the-range micro and will it look stupid w/ the red stove? Or can I switch it out for a hood w/o messing up the cabinets (I don't want to remodel the entire kitchen because it is beautiful, high quality cabinets- I just want to get rid of the stove I hate). Like, a small hood that fits in where the micro was?

(FYI- this is primarily/exclusively an aesthetic change to a new stove. We are NOT serious cooks).

Comments (43)

• User
    8 years ago

Can you vent externally? Do you still want a microwave?

beaglesdoitbetter thanked User
  • blue_jean_baby
    8 years ago

IMHO, I think it would be fine to switch out the stove and leave the microwave as is. The fridge has the SS finish as the micro. Unless you really want the over-the-stove micro gone - maybe you could donate want you don't wantto a Habitat for Humanity store or something, so someone else can "get the good of it" as the saying goes.

Me, I'm vertically challenged, and think a microwave above the stove is an accident waiting to happen (and a pain to reach to clean) LOL

Dawn

beaglesdoitbetter thanked blue_jean_baby
  • Related Discussions

Do you really need a stove hood?

Q

Comments (7)
    It really depends on the kind and amount of cooking you do. "Serious" cooks who do a lot of stir frying or sauteing at high heat that causes smoke and splattering of grease need to take exhaust seriously. But if, in your experience, you find that you do not fill the house with obnoxious fumes or food smells that linger for a whole day or longer, you probably do not need to spend a bundle on stove ventilation. But if you feel the need for ventilation, the sky is the limit. Some people install systems similar to the ones in restaurants -- at high prices. Many do with less and are reasonably satisfied. Your past experience should be your guide.
    ...See More

What to do about a wedge between a hood and a cabinet

Q

Comments (11)
    IKEA cabinets are very easy to shorten. The issue will be finding the right size doors to cover the shortened cabinet. Do some creative thinking, scan the IKea doors, and see if there might be some that could fit. For example, with the old system, I was able to cut a 30 inch cabinet to 12 inch height and use two 15x12 doors. For the gap behind the hood when it is pulled forward, use a right sized piece of metal glued to the wood that can then be screwed in place, before the hook goes back up. That is what my cabinetmaker did, a lot easier than custom-made metal.
    ...See More

Help! What should I do with this wall/stove area?

Q

Comments (5)
    fill in the side spaces as I've mentioned. you could do open shelving below a countertop if you have to. center the stove, build support legs/cleats against wall to support a countertop. you could do butcher block or stone. then build open shelving below. you could buy 18" or larger base cabs, and remove the doors if you don't think they would match. or build something similar to match the old ones. or buy a little freestanding piece like this one (easy to make one too) do the entire wall in a ceramic tile or a large sheet of stainless steel, and put up some shelving like shown above.
    ...See More

replacing OTR microwave with vent hood - what to do with tile?

Q

Comments (18)
    @Marta I had it made at a metal fabricator using my design and dimensions. It was about $100 and I used construction adhesive to glue it to the wall and tiny nails from inside the cabinet to inside the rolled edge to keep the shelf firm.
    ...See More
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is an interior wall, so we can't run any new vents. I think it is venting somehow now, since the microwave thing is an over-the-range hood, stove, combo. I literally never cook (except to microwave) so I honestly have no idea how it is being vented. My husband makes eggs sometimes and uses the stove to heat stuff, but I don't think he turns the hood venting on either. (This is a vacation home so we're only there about 5 months of the year, and we eat out most of the time)

It doesn't bother me to have the microwave over the range rom a functional standpoint (and it also doesn't bother me to not have great venting). It's more the aesthetics I'm worried about.

Yes, I need to have a micro somewhere, but I don't need it to be there (I could put it in the laundry room near by on the counter, probably).

I'm sure I could re-sell this stuff since the people left the receipts for it and it is newish.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I think it will look okay. I'd say just go ahead and make the change. Then if you hate how it looks with the microwave there, figure out how to switch it out. (Microwaves like that are often recirculating so it may not be venting to the exterior at all. In which case, changing it wouldn't help your venting situation anyway.)

• User
    8 years ago

The micro on top should have a fan, so maybe you should confirm that so at least you move some air when you cook.

It seems to me that you could just another another smooth top slide in stove to replace the one you don't like the look of.

Other than the sleek look of the Bertazzoni, why do you want this cooking method?

It's a lot of giddyup for people who really don't cook. Moreover, you need ventilation with gas, let alone the btu's the Bartazzoni will use.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks crl_, maybe I will just try it and hope the micro looks OK

mimipadv I will make sure it has some kind of fan before I do the change. I'm not going down to FL for a month, so I'm still in the planning stages.

The look is the ONLY reason I want it. I really do not like the look of stoves that have that little drawer thingy on the bottom. The only range stoves I've found w/ legs and substantial knobs are the Bertrazonni and the Viking (which is astronomically expensive in red w/ induction, and I may end up w/ induction if running a gas line is too difficult).

If someone has a simple, low-cost red stove w/ legs that is 30" inches that I can slide in there, I'd be delighted to see it ;) I just don't think it exists, so I think this is my best option...

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

You have a GE Advantium up there. The gas Bertazzoni range, even though it may look pro style, wouldn't be that different from a standard gas range in terms of power, so the OTR GE should be safe to keep.

However, I would personally prefer induction even if you could run a gas line, but only in general, not specifically Bertazzoni. I would read the thread over on the Appliances forum about the Bertazzoni induction range first. If looks is all you care about, the Bertazzoni should be fine, but based on the initial reviews I've read, if practicality and cooking performance are more important I would look at the GE, Electrolux, and Samsung induction ranges.

Whichever way you go, be sure to donate your old range to Habitat Restore or similar.

• User
    8 years ago

Also, if you change the footprint of the stove and can see under it, does your floor extend past the current stove?

Is the tile uniform behind the top?

• beaglesdoitbetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks hvtech42. I knew it was a GE something, but couldn't remember what it was. The only thing I ever do w/ it is hit the "30 second" button to make it microwave (I know each press adds 30 seconds, LOL). There are way too many different options on there for me to care about learning..

Induction is more expensive and I kind of like the look of the gas one, that's why I'd be more inclined towards gas if I could get it (esp. w/ not cooking that much... and we have a gas stove in PA and that's what we're used to). Cooking and performance don't matter- I want that pretty red and those nice knobs and attractive legs ;)

mimipadv we have extra floor tile in the garage so if the floor does not extend under the current stove, that could be fixed easily. The backsplash, I will have to check and make sure it is OK before I change out b/c I don't want to have to redo that! I think the Bertrazonni comes up high enough, but I'm not sure...

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

Here's the Berta induction thread I was talking about. Of course since it's so new there aren't many experiences yet - but could be an interesting read if you're considering the range.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2874046/new-bertazzoni-induction-range?n=25

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

What about Big Chill 30" in red

• beaglesdoitbetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks hvtech42 ! Someone has a picture in that thread of the range w/ a micro over it and it looks just fine, so that puts my mind at ease about that! The reviews don't seem that great, but since I don't really do cooking, may not be an issue...

• beaglesdoitbetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pal I just googled the Big Chill 30" Pro Range in red and that could work! And it looks like it's a little over $1,000 cheaper than the Bertrazonni. If I can get the gas line run, that may be a better bet!!

THANK YOU!

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

Oh beagles... only you!! In the engineering world, one replaces a part due to form, fit, or function. If it were me, I'd be playing with the backsplash to give your pretty kitchen the extra oomph. Have you thought about omitting the microwave and upper cabinet and popping in a fabulous (terribly expensive) hood? Serious eye candy, there. You won't see the range, with fabulous backsplash and hood. If you replace the range, you'll still see the microwave and backsplash. I just don't think you'll get the bang you're looking for with this route. (Sorry, I'll go away now... but more than willing to come back to photoshop options).

• weedmeister
    8 years ago

I think that is an Advantium. The OTR came in two versions: 120v and 240v. The 240v is much better as an oven, among other things. If you want to ditch it, it would be sellable on Craigs list.

Chances are since this is an inside wall it does not vent outside. Recirculates. But you could look in the cabinet above and see if there is a vent going somewhere. (Note no chase or vent pipe above the cabinets.)

• daisychain Zn3b
    8 years ago

I definitely think you should do the Bertazzoni induction. I've been lusting after it for months, but since it is so new to the N. American market, I can't find many reviews. You buy it, start cooking (or convince hubby to) and let me know how it works :)

ps I think an OTR would be fine, but personally, I'd change it out for one that matches the lines of the Bertazzoni better. That is, if you are only concerned with form and spending money isn't an issue.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOL, oldbat2be, I was an English and Communications major, not an engineer- I think we see why :)

I actually really like the backsplash. It goes with the whole room. So I don't think I want to change that. I would change out the hood (and may still, if the micro looks stupid with the stove). Since I only have 30 inches in there and don't want to take out the side cabinets, do you really think a hood would make that much of a difference?

I just really hate the look of this stove, so I don't think I can leave it alone. I hate that drawer and the wimpy knobs and the big backing with the clock on it.

Thanks weedmeister. I don't know which of the two it is but I can check when I get down to FL. Now that I think about it, I am almost 100 percent sure there is no vent pipe in the upper cabinets. I'm surprised that when the people who lived there remodeled the kitchen, they didn't get a proper vent (since I guess they did like to cook. The house was only built in 2009 and the second set of people in there already remodeled the first kitchen!)

LOL, daisychain01, how about if I buy it and let you come over and cook on it ;) I don't think you'll get very detailed reviews of heavy-duty cooking otherwise!

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Hm, style-wise i don't see a red sleek Italian (....) in this kitchen. More like a Big Chill and replace the Advantium with a hood.

• badgergal
    8 years ago

If it's all about looks than IMO the over the range microwave messes up the whole look. You should think about replacing the OTR micro/speed oven with a recirculating hood. BigChill makes a 30" recirculating hood in red.

Since you don't have natural gas to your house, you should also think about using propane instead. Both the Retro and the Pro Big Chill ranges are available for propane fuel it would be a lot cheaper to get propane than to run a gas line from the street.

For just cooking, you only need a 57 gallon tank and with your limited cooking it would probably last for a very long time before needing a refill. "Propane is extremely flexible. In most cases a propane line can enter the home wherever a homeowner wishes. The only requirement is that the propane tank be able to be located nearby. There are some requirements for distance from the home for a propane tank, but they are not stringent.

With the flexibility of propane installation, you are able to put a propane stove in any room of the house, which makes them a more attractive option than natural gas for many people."

This is what a 57 gallon take looks like

And while your at it why not get this cute little Big Chill Microwave to put on the counter. It's 13"high by 21-3/4 wide and 17-1/4 deep

The only possible problem that I can see is if they did not tile behind the OTR micro you might need to find some matching tile since the recirculating hood is only 10" high and the OTR micro obviously is more than 10".

• User
    8 years ago

I didn't want to say anything, but not only do I agree with NSM about the style, my gut reaction upon seeing this last night is the red looks awful with those cabs.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

nosoccermom I think that is too vintage for me...

badger gal that hood could work and would look really nice! I will have to see if they tiled behind the micro or if they left extra backsplash tile in the garage in case we decide to replace the hood.

We actually have a propane tank already at this house (no natural gas accessible where we are). The tank is underground and it services the pool heater and corner fireplace. It's just a question of getting the line run from the propane tank to the stove.

mayflowers the picture of the cabinets does not really show their true color at all. They are a really pretty glazed french white and they don't look it in that picture. The cabinets don't photograph well for whatever reason. We have a lot of red already in and around the area and I love the red w/ the cabinets. I could see how you'd think it would be a bad combo with the picture showed there though!

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Your cabinets look more like country French with the molding and the glaze, so how about a Big Chill Classic?

• User
    8 years ago

nosoccermom - Is that door really as small as it looks?

• badgergal
    8 years ago

The small door is not the actual oven door. Think of it has the oven's window. It has an normal full size door.

• User
    8 years ago

I would prefer a red like the Big Chill. I just don't see a primary red working with traditional glazed cabinets. I would use the bright red in a contemporary kitchen with other primary colors and a colorful backsplash.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

nosoccermom that is beautiful! that could work.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What would you think of the stove nosoccermom found in the black?

I have red in other places throughout the room, so I don't know if the cabaret color would work. This is the seating area next to the kitchen, for example...

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I love color but would prefer the classic black in your kitchen. It comes with all kinds of combinations of trim finishes (copper, brass, nickel, chrome

Industrial Chic Design- the Big Chill Classic 1900 Series · More Info

• User
    8 years ago

If you're replacing the stove essentially for looks, I also agree with those who don't see a primary red range as a good fit. Your cabinet style, the finish and your backsplash just don't seem suited to it, IMHO.

You could get red in there with other accents that are in keeping with your cabinet style.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I definitely prefer the black. I believe you that the cabinets aren't photgraphing accurately, but it really seems like black looks better. And I think the big chill classic nosoccermom posted suits the kitchen better than the bertazonni does.

I do think the big chill classic would necessitate changing the Advantium out for a hood. IMO, it's iffy with the bertazonni but you could try it and see. I don't think it works at all with the big chill classic.

• mrspete
    8 years ago

Ehhhh, I'm against changing the range. Or, maybe I should say, I'm against changing ONLY the range.

I hear you clearly when you say that you don't like the look of this stove, but it does fit into the whole kitchen. It matches the stove and the microwave. It fits in perfectly. I fear that if you change JUST the range, especially introducing a bold red item, that item's going to look out of place.

A potential test: Obtain a huge sheet of red and wrap your current range in it. Then live with it a while. Does the red seem "right"?

beaglesdoitbetter thanked mrspete
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I love the bright range on its own, but for your kitchen, I'd go with black. Burgundy looks nice, too, but what if you get fed up with the color. Black is classy and will go with any color that may be in your future, blue, green, teal, red, ....

beaglesdoitbetter thanked nosoccermom
  • User
    8 years ago

Wow, great mock up!!

I like the burgundy and black, and am leaning away from the bright red.

I saw your floral stuffed chair in the kitchen, and it seems more French country, like your kitchen. I just don't get an in-your-face-red POP going with them.

btw...DH was looking over my shoulder and votes for the burgundy.

• User
    8 years ago

With the range on the same wall as the fridge, I'd do the black.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 years ago

Go with the black. It really fits in, and the Advantium doesn't look terrible with it either, although a hood would be nice (if you changed to a hood, where would you put your microwave?) What color metal would you choose for the oven trim?

Edited to add, the French blue would look pretty good too, I think!

beaglesdoitbetter thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow! Thank you for the mock ups. The black does look really nice. I like the gold or the silver trim, I think either could work. Although maybe the black and silver would look nice w/ the black counters and stainless steel fridge. I could put the micro in the nearby laundry room. Or maybe get a nice looking one for the counter...

Now to see if I can run a gas line so I can use it!!

I can always start with the stove and then change out the hood if I feel it needs it...

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

Ooooh - I like the black! If you can hold off decisions for a few days, I can try to photoshop in some hoods too.

Hood suggestions anyone...?

beaglesdoitbetter thanked oldbat2be
  • rebunky
    8 years ago

Oh good, I was hoping you would like the black! It was my favorite of the three. The bright red one just wasn't working at all with the style of the cabinets. The burgandy color was a little better, but I definitely liked the big chill classic style of it. However, once I saw the black, I thought it just felt right.

Here it is with the chrome trim. This one looked pretty darn good even if you wanted to keep the advantium above.

Notice I added a Le Crueset red pot on the stove? Even if you don't cook much, you just have to have it. Ha!

I tried it with the matching big chill classic hood that nosoccermom posted. Specs says it is 18" high. (Her photo shows it much taller w/no upper cab.)

I'm not sure if it would fit without altering the upper cabinet, but here it is FWIW. :-)

(Btw, your blue and white kitchen is one of my favorites!)

beaglesdoitbetter thanked rebunky
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

If you wanted to replace the Advantium with a hood, I wonder about a slide out. It would just be a narrow strip of stainless steel showing.

I think you'd need the stove top to cabinet bottom measurement to see what would fit. This might be too high up. There is a slide out that takes a panel and the part beneath the cabinet is taller, but then you'd need a panel from the cabinet maker, not sure if that would be possible to obtain.

beaglesdoitbetter thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

The distance may be an issue. It looks out of proportion, too.

How big a deal is it to remove the upper cabinet and go with the Big Chill Classic?

beaglesdoitbetter thanked nosoccermom
  • PRO
    Cabinets 4U, Inc.
    8 years ago

There are quite a few different microwave options! Here
    is a great article: Where
    will the Microwave go?

beaglesdoitbetter thanked Cabinets 4U, Inc.
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How big a deal is it to remove the upper cabinet and go with the Big Chill Classic?

I don't know. I need to find out:

1. If I can run the gas line

2. If I can remove the existing microwave

And make sure I can take care of all the other practicalities like fixing the backsplash, etc.

I'm still not in FL, just in the planning stages of this. When I get down there this year, I'm having a contractor come over to discuss this project, the built-ins I want to add to other rooms, and the installation of an instant hot... so I will get more info then. Hopefully, the Big Chill Classic in the gas version will be doable. Since we already have the underground propane tank, I'm hoping it will be easy... but I don't know what the code requirements are or whether it can get to this wall since there's a room above it and it is pretty far from the other gas hookups and it is not an exterior wall...