SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirstenaline

Bathroom Lighting Conundrum! Help, please!

kirstenaline
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi there, we are remodeling our bathroom upstairs with slanted attic ceiling. See the picture attached. I want to make sure the lighting is awesome. Here are the questions:

1. We have our 60" vanity against the short wall, only 6 feet high. On each side of the vanity will be 5 inches. We have a mirror that came with the vanity we will be using, also 60". It's not a huge bathroom, so keeping the full size mirror is preferable, rather than moving to a two-mirror set up. That being said, I want sconces on each side of the mirror, but that would put them 5 feet apart, and not at the suggested 36-40". How can I be sure I have enough vanity lighting so I don't have shadows or lack of light? We don't have space above the mirror due to the 6" ceiling height, so I am assuming recessed is the only option? Is that weird on a slanted ceiling of the lower height as you can see in the pic attached? Any other options? Thoughts on wattage?

2. We are putting in a 2x2 skylight to also bring in more natural light. We live in the the Pacific Northwest, so this is super important! The window has a big Japanese Maple outside of it, so we don't get enough with the window alone. Originally I thought to put the skylight above the vanity, but that may create problems with having enough light since the sconces will be so far apart. So, my thought is to do it above the toilet. Agree/disagree? I also thought at one point to do it above the shower but then we would want to buy an opening/closing type to avoid condensation that close to the shower, which is way more expensive, and this dang remodel is already more than I wanted to spend. Isn't that always the case? :)

3. Currently we have a stupid fan/light combo that is super old above the toilet, and I think it may make the most sense to put this fixture above our new shower (5 feet x 4 feet). Any suggestions on great fixtures or if this is a smart idea? Should it be an all-in-one? Multiple fixture and keep the light above the shower and then move the fan elsewhere?

Any other thoughts or suggestions for consideration are welcomed!!

Comments (3)