SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Swales and Berms

chickencoupe
8 years ago

Central Oklahoma with a layer of silt, clay loam and clay. Bermuda grass is dominant in the landscape.

This fall and winter I will be digging swales and building berms. I plan to start simple with the most erosive so I can make adjustments as I go. My lot has erosion problems and contour lines are every-which direction. The entire lot is gently sloping and eroding. I don't want to lose all my clay loam!

These swales will be no deeper than 4" even in the most erosive place with a width, maybe 3'-4' wide. I want something gentle to slow down the water. The end goal is to capture up to 3 times the annual rain fall. But first things first.

Here's my question: How do I protect the raw berms?

Everything I have read never addresses potential erosion of the freshly mounded berm. I have glimpsed in some videos where the builders seemed to have placed something - like burlap - atop the berm.

Will gunny sacks work?

I'll be seeding clover. These will take some time to build. I suspect some berms may need overwinter before new growth can be established.

Will the clover grow right through the burlap?

Please help give me some ideas to avoid erosion on these berms! I picked up a bunch of gunny (burlap) sacks from the farm store. I find that heavy mulch helped soil erosion but it also stymies growth which is more helpful for erosion.

thanks

bon

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!