SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
duncanjoshuae

Overseed or start over?

Josh
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello,

I recently purchased a house in Greenville, SC this past summer with a lawn in desperate need of maintenance. I've never been a homeowner before so I've been reading a lot but haven't really put my foot in the water yet. When we got the house it was about 80% weeds (mostly clover and crabgrass I think). I'm not an expert on grass identification but it seems what little bit is there is a mixture of some type of fescue and Bermuda or centipede perhaps.

Since it was in the middle of summer I couldn't do very much seeding so I treated the lawn for clover and mostly just mowed the grass for the rest of the summer. I did recently spread Scotts Turfbuilder w/winterguard in September.

My goal for the lawn is to be full Bermuda with no weeds obviously. I do not have the money to sod a 1/2 acre lawn and I'm not even looking for results that fast. I would just like to know if its necessary to scalp and seed or do you think I could just treat the lawn for weeds in the Spring and overseed with Bermuda? Will the Bermuda eventually choke out all the fescue that's already there?

Lawn · More Info

Lawn · More Info

Lawn · More Info

Lawn · More Info

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH