SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esksoftware

Rainwater gets under skirting and causes mold growth

E K
8 years ago

Hi everyone!

I live in a 2002 Palm Harbor home here in San Diego county.

When my mobile home was installed, a concrete driveway was added that nearly touches the skirting. There seems to be some kind of mysterious spongy material sandwiched between them.

Years later, a walkway of rectangular pavers was added on two other sides of the house. The walkway's distance from the skirting varies from almost zero to about 1.5 inches, due to uneven construction I guess.

For both kinds of pavement, rainwater runs down the siding and continues between skirting and pavement. The ground retains the moisture. When viewed from the crawlspace underneath the home, the skirting shows water stains and white mold.

What's the best way to minimize how much water reaches the dirt? I say "dirt" because the home is installed on steel piers supported by wood blocks; there is no concrete foundation or blocks.

One option would be to fill the skirting/pavement gap (if any) with gravel, then just pour some kind of caulking over that, to minimize water getting through. But that would prevent evaporation of any moisture that did end up down there. The ground and crawlspace would have less opportunity to "breathe".

Should I instead add some kind of wide trim to that skirting, hanging above the pavement, to divert the water onto the pavement? I could also lay down a line of caulk at the edge of the pavement, to stop water from running over the edge and down the crevice. This way, there would be room for air to flow through the gap between skirting and pavement.

It appears that the skirting is the same material as the siding: it looks like wood splinters were pressed together somehow into panels. Would I solve the problem best by installing new skirting material that mold cannot feed on? Or would rainwater under the skirting still be a bad thing?

Many thanks in advance for your informed opinions!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!