SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shellhoya

Mold/mildew under kitchen cabinet

shellhoya
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Last summer I started noticing a pungent mold or mildew odor in my kitchen. It eventually became more obvious when I would open the drawers over one section of cabinets, a section I don't use much. In one of the lower cabinets, the one directly under my silverware drawer, I stored my household plant and bug stuff....pots, plant food, watering can, ant baits, etc. When I started pulling stuff out of there, I found that there was fuzzy mold (white to green colors) growing on the inside walls of th cabinet, bottom of the drawer, and deck. I pulled the old original fiberboard deck out and found more of the wonderful mold underneath it and on the floor below. There was no water leaking or obvious wet spots. So I cleaned it all up with vinegar, bleach, different household products, but never could get the smell completely out. I did the same in the adjoining cabinet (there's a dividing panel between). I also replaced the lower deck in both of these cabinets with new plywood. It was late in the season so I didn't do anything else, and over the winter the smell went away.

So now it's a new summer, and it's been really hot so that the AC has been running non stop. I started noticing the smell again this last week. I don't see any visible mold growth inside that cabinet, but that's definitely where the smell is coming from. I've removed all contents and taken out the newer plywood deck again, no mold underneath yet.

Now I'm gong to backtrack. This is a 1979 mobile home that I purchased in 1997. I had it moved to the current location and lived here ever since. All those years, the belly fabric had tears, holes, and cuts that I never really worried about. Then a few years ago I had new windows and a metal roof-over installed. I decided I should fix up the belly, since I was doing all these other improvements. So I replaced the insulation where the belly was compromised, and I sealed everything up well. I also laid the heavy plastic ground barrier under the trailer to help with moisture problems.

So back to now. Since I couldn't see any visible evidence of water on the floor inside this smelly moldy cabinet, I looked underneath the trailer. There is one seam that has come loose on the belly, close to the area under this cabinet. I used tarps as belly fabric, and I overlapped them quite a bit from each tear or gap, so there's no insulation exposed at this seam. It's just an edge of the new material that has come loose from the old material. This is in the center section and right where the AC duct runs. So I'm wondering if this one loose seam, being close to the duct, with the heat and humidity outside, and constant running of the AC, could be causing some condensation on the duct that would lead to mold growing above it in that cabinet? After all those years of the belly hanging open in large areas, and never having mold before, it surprises me that one small gap could cause so much nastiness. Help?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH