SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
criticalmass048

Terrorized by mosquitoes - HELP!

criticalmass048
8 years ago

We bought a fixer-upper in NJ last year, and while it has many problems, big and small, the biggest problem of all (IMHO) is the mosquito infestation.

It's got a big backyard. From what we hear, the husband loved his garden and spent much time out there, but passed away years ago, and the wife never did anything out there. As a result, the backyard was overrun with English Ivy, vines, weeds, trash, etc. It was so bad that the English ivy covered half the garage, infiltrated between the shingles, thereby prying them off, and encouraging rot.

There are mosquitoes everywhere. It's BAD. When I say bad, I mean you walk out the back door to go to the car and get something, and when you get back you're already itching -- 90 seconds tops.

The only way you can spend any significant amount of time out back is to douse yourself in OFF!, and that's still not 100%. I've been out there wearing sneakers, socks, and jeans, and sprayed my entire head and torso, and the mosquitoes must have gone up my leg, because my thigh was bitten by the end of the day.

I mentioned the garage, because I was out there yesterday working on re-siding the garage, and despite my very potent (and probably unsafe) levels of OFF! around my head, I still had the little things buzzing in my ears, flying in front of my face, and still got a bite on my shoulder.

There's no standing water in the yard at all. The only thing I can think of is that they are living in all the ivy and underbrush.

Short of setting fire to the ivy, I need to do everything it takes to get rid of these terrorists. I need suggestions of all types. I don't care if it's animal, vegetable, mineral, chemical, mechanical that I can use to eliminate them. I don't care if I chase them away or go Terminator on them and vanquish them all, I just want them gone.

Thanks for your time.

Comments (3)