SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
threebyfive

Dry patches in potting soil

8 years ago

Hello, I recently bought this potting soil, which is well-reviewed. However, I planted some Pothos in it that I had recently rooted in water, and the leaves started wilting. I poked my finger into the soil and realized that while the very surface was wet, there were bone-dry spots underneath. Scratching back the top layer would reveal soil so dry it was releasing dust into the air.

I ran the hose over the whole pot, for a few minutes, really drenching it. Even so, I could push pack the top soil to reveal bone dry dirt underneath!

I then took the whole pot and submerged it in a 5 gallon bucket of water. The bucket filled with dirt particles and the water started bubbling up over the top of the pot -- overturning clumps of dirt that were still bone dry!!

This is very frustrating because I often have plants that look like victims of uneven watering. They will appear to show signs of under-watering, and then when I water them, act like they have root rot. I worry that water is just finding its way through rivulets in the soil, bypassing some roots entirely.

I recently separated an overgrown peace lily and now one of the smaller plants droops in places, even when the soil seems soggy. I'm hesitant to upturn the plant to inspect it, since it's still adjusting. Anyway, I wonder if any of you have had this problem, and what I should do about it.

On a similar note, when I try to make my own potting soil with peat moss, compost and perlite, after a few thorough waterings all the Perlite appears to float to the top, which makes me think the bottom of the pot is now turning to mud.

Anyway, any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH