SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
resj_gw

Dry brown patches and few purple stems- bhut jolokia (pics)

resj
13 years ago

I got these as 3-4'' plants and lost a few leaves from the slightest wind blowing or rain (from a heavy potting mix I first started out on, and the from the original stress from being root bound in the tiny square pot they came in)...

Now my soil mix is 45% perlite to a 30% of ph balanced organic soil and 25% peat moss. I also put a thin mulch layer overtop to conserve some moisture. They are about 6-8'' now. Damn, they are slow, but they seem to be doing much better besides these issues.

I started them out 4 hours of direct light for a week. Now they are in 10.5 hours. I don't see any pests or traces on the leaves. I water once a day when the moisture meter reads 4 or below about 8'' down in the container. They are in 5 gal white containers (with adequate drain holes) and get 1 gal split watering between 3 plants normally sometimes more if they are really dry. I don't mist.

I haven't fed them anything besides some drops of Superthrive in the waterings because of the beginning stresses and root boundedness. The FIRST ISSUE is the brown dry spots. We had some pretty heated weather lately, but some were there before the heat wave so I'm not sure if that's a case here or not. I'm really stumped on what's causing these dry brown areas. The SECOND ISSUE is the purple stems, I'm guessing this is a phosphorus deficiency, no?

10-5-14

5-15-14

2-45-28

These are the nutrients I have: a grower, bloomer, and bloom booster. I hope this is detailed enough for a proper diagnostic. Do you think I have enough time for maturing outdoors (Eastern US)- 6-8'' tall now?

Thanks for your help

{{gwi:1195332}}

{{gwi:1195333}}

{{gwi:1195334}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored