SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

An Autumn GTKY

LynnNM
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Happy Autumn/Fall! This is my very favorite season and I'm so glad that it's finally here. I started to think about all the things I love about this great season and thought it would be fun to hear what you like best about it and how you spend it. So . . . here is an Autumn Getting To Know You:

1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving?
  2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months?
  3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months?
  4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"?
  5. Favorite Autumn dinner?
  6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities?
  7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team?
  8. Do you actually watch football games on TV?
  9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving?
  10. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things?
  11. What season IS your favorite?
  12. What do you like best about Autumn?

Here's mine to start us off:

1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? Halloween when I was a kid; Thanksgiving as an adult. I love the dinner and the overall festiveness of it the day!
  2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? Walking our dogs along the mountain trail near our home to enjoy the colors and smells; Sitting out on our front portal on Fall nights with DH and the dogs and a fire crackling in the fireplace out there. It smells wonderfully outside then!
  3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Making a pot of homemade soup; reading in front of a fire
  4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? A pot of one of my homemade soups; apple cider
  5. Favorite Autumn dinner? A pot of my Green Lentil Soup, a small loaf of crusty deli bread; a chunk of great cheese, a small bowl of pecans, Caesar salad and an awesome bottle of wine, apple pie
  6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities? The New Mexico State Fair is wonderful and is held in Albuquerque; The Albuquerque International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta; many art shows in Santa Fe and Albuquerque; October Fest; OctDober Fest (for Doberman rescue dogs and their families)
  7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? I'm a huge fan of the University of Oklahoma Sooners. Pro: Detroit Lions
  8. Do you actually watch football games on TV? Yes, I'll sit with DH and watch it. We also enjoy attending Sooner Alumni Game watching parties.
  9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? All of them, but not like I used to before DD went off to college.
  10. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things? I used to go all out. Gosh, I still have so many decs! I don't usually put them all out anymore.
  11. What season IS your favorite? Autumn
  12. What do you like best about Autumn? The cool freshness of it; the colors of the foliage; the many festivals we have here in New Mexico; it's green chile roasting time and the smell of it roasting in store parking lots and on street corners everywhere is heavenly!

Comments (65)

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I am loving some of these descriptions of autumn! Some of you should be writers! You've really captured the feel of fall.

LynnNM thanked tibbrix
  • Funkyart
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving. It is rare that the entire family gathers these days but it's one of the more relaxed holidays with the whole crew.
    2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? I enjoy being near water-- kayaking, hiking, walking, sitting.. doesn't matter. I will be joining a friend for wine along the creek in her backyard tomorrow!
    3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Making soup.. reading or playing scrabble in front of the fire.
    4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? brussels sprouts and apple cider
    5. Favorite Autumn dinner? Homemade soup.. too many favorites to list.
    6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities? No, but i live in PA.. there are apple festivals and corn mazes (shudder) all over.
    7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? No, I haven't followed/watched football since high school.
    8. Do you actually watch football games on TV? no
    9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? I change out pillows and throws seasonally and sometimes bedding. I don't use fall colors-- the house goes lighter and less colorful in fall/winter. I love "fall colors" on the trees but that's where I'd like them to stay! I hate hate hate mums.. and love white pumpkins.
    10. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things? Literally just a few things-- and most of them carry through the winter.
    11. What season IS your favorite? I like all the seasons -- but each time I have fallen in love, it's been in the fall so I associate the fall with new beginnings and possibilities. :)
    12. What do you like best about Autumn? I love the weather in Sept and Oct. It's still sunny but the breezes are cool and fresh. It makes me want to DO things outside -- even yard work! And I love bringing out fall clothes .. jackets, scarves, boots.
    LynnNM thanked Funkyart
  • joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

1. Thanksgiving.....family...good fun and good food.

2. Walks

3. Cozying up and watching a good movie.

4. Soup or chili, cornbread or a hearty crusty bread

5. Same as #4

6. Local orchards have things for kids...hayrides, pick your own pumpkin, etc.

7. I don't really watch..but "we" root for the Buckeyes since DD went there and still lives in Cbus. Also, Maryland Terrapins---- DS went there, but they're not so good. Professional.....Redskins.

8. I watch a teeny bit here and there....not really that interested.

9. Used to decorate when the kids were growing up. Now, no.

10. Don't really decorate...I already have things out that have fall colors.

11. Love fall and spring. Summer the least....don't like the heat and humidity...they zap my energy.

12. The cool, crisp air.

LynnNM thanked joaniepoanie
  • rosesstink
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? Hmm. Thanksgiving I guess because we get together with friends and have a great time. My memories of Halloween as a kid though still make me like that holiday very much too.
    2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? Hiking.
    3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Reading.
    4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? Fried cakes with apple cider.
    5. Favorite Autumn dinner? Stews.
    6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities? In the larger area yes but I don't attend.
    7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? Not really. I'll root for the local team. Go SU!
    8. Do you actually watch football games on TV? I'll watch for short time periods but never a whole game.
    9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? Some.
    10. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things? Just a few. Mums out on the porch now. DH and I have a bit of a jack o'lantern carving competition going on. We ended up with 5 last year - DH got a deal on multiple pumpkins that he just couldn't refuse. ;-) More jack o'lanterns than trick-or-treaters. I want trick-or-treaters! (But not 1500. That's crazy!)
    11. What season IS your favorite? Used to be spring but now it's summer (meteorological summer).
    12. What do you like best about Autumn? 1) Annual vacation in Cape May. 2) It's not winter yet.
    LynnNM thanked rosesstink
  • rosesstink
    8 years ago

Wow! Five or six people posted while I was typing mine. Fun!

LynnNM thanked rosesstink
  • User
    8 years ago

Mtn, what are velvet pumpkins with real stems?

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

What they sound like. Pretty much. I got mine at terrain a few years ago but here is an example of them

• User
    8 years ago

Hm... I filled this out earlier. I filled it out somewhere!

LynnNM thanked User
  • hhireno
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? I guess Thx because the working niece and nephews have the day off and there's a good chance I'll see them for a meal.
    2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? Complaining that winter is coming.
    3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Complaining that it's too cold to read on the porch.
    4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? Ginger snaps with a side of cantaloupe: spicy followed by cool & refreshing.
    5. Favorite Autumn dinner? Pizza, it's always a favorite regardless of season.
    6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities? Yes, but I'm not much of a festival-goer. There's a Celtic Fest and an Oktoberfest, among other events.
    7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? I'd rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than watch football. And poked in the ear because I don't like hearing it either. (I'm surprised how many of us here don't like it. I didn't realize I was in such good company.) To be fair, I dislike all sports, but football might be number one on my list. Then basketball~shudder~.
    8. Do you actually watch football games on TV? I leave the room, sometimes the house, when my husband watches because just the sound of a game makes me cranky.
    9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? I used to but I've lost interest and given away all the decorations. I barely decorate for Xmas. Basically, I'm lazy and don't like the extra work of getting things out and putting them away again a few weeks later. I enjoy seeing what others do, I just don't want to do it.
    10. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things? See #9.
    11. What season IS your favorite? Summer
    12. What do you like best about Autumn? It's not winter. I don't like how the morning is cold and a jacket is required but by afternoon the jacket is too hot and a burden to carry. I don't like the smell of all the decaying leaves and plants. I detest how the daylight gets shorter and shorter. I don't like kids ringing my doorbell and expect me to give them candy. Get off my lawn! Unless you're willing to rake it. I don't like the post-apocalypse look of bare trees and bushes. But it isn't winter so there is that.
    LynnNM thanked hhireno
  • User
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? I enjoy Halloween. My neighborhood is festive and the adults socialize as much as the kids. Now that my kids are older, the costume pressure is alleviated and I can enjoy the excitement of the younger children around here.
    2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? Walking with friends and watching the fall blooms and foliage along our path.
    3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Cleaning, decorating and general "nesting" that I have time for now that kids are back in school.
    4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? Soup.
    5. Favorite Autumn dinner? Soup... with a good, crusty, aromatic bread.
    6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities? Yes, many. We're in a cutesy, touristy area that makes the most of every season in terms of community events.
    7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? Not personally, but I married into a Green Bay Packer family. I also like to "jump around" Camp Randall Stadium for the Wisconsin Badgers when the opportunity arises. (It's really a cool experience.)
    8. Do you actually watch football games on TV? No. The rest of my family watches football, so it's usually my time to socialize with neighbors who are over watching the game, or go shopping.
    9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? Minimally. A few items indoor maybe, and a mum or 2, and a few pumpkins outside.
    10. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things? Just a few. I'm usually preparing for winter decorating, which I enjoy more.
    11. What season IS your favorite? Oh, I like them all. Each has something special to offer and reminds me how fast time flies.
    12. What do you like best about Autumn? Warmth. Coziness. Soup. Foliage.
    LynnNM thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

Beautiful Japanese maples, My3dogs! Thanks for sharing.

LynnNM thanked User
  • outsideplaying_gw
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? Halloween, especially when the kids and grandkids were small. We hosted many 'Haunted Halloween' parties for our DGD and her friends at our place, complete with a Headless Horseman (our neighbor). Tons of fun.
    2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? Hiking and more running.
    3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Not much different except more cleaning closets and teh attic
    4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? Soup
    5. Favorite Autumn dinner? Pot roast
    6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities? Several, including Oktoberfest, & several others in Sept-Oct.
    7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? Yes! Been a huge Alabama football fan since I was a teen & we go to several games. DH is Ohio State.
    8. Do you actually watch football games on TV? Love college football.
    9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? Some but not as much as I did in the past.
    10. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things? Just a few. Mums out front and I'll put out a few Halloween decorations but we live in the country so no one sees much.
    11. What season IS your favorite? Autumn, but Spring is close second
    12. What do you like best about Autumn? Lower humidity and temps and the crispness of the air.
    LynnNM thanked outsideplaying_gw
  • robo (z6a)
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving. I love food and family. I get 2-3 Canadian Thanksgiving meals a year as a guest.
    2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? Hiking in the woods. I love the smells.
    3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Reading (just my fave thing to do)
    4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? Stuffing...and curried carrot soup.
    5. Favorite Autumn dinner? Baked halibut with cheddar cheese topping served with roasted fall veg.
    6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities? Our area is big into pumpkin people in the Annapolis Valley (farms) and scarecrows on the South Shore (ocean).
    7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? Nope.
    8. Do you actually watch football games on TV? (see above)
    9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? Too lazy.
    10. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things? (see above)
    11. What season IS your favorite? Late summer/early fall when the nights are crisp but the ocean's warm enough to swim in. I also love sweater weather.
    12. What do you like best about Autumn? The foliage (I also live in a stunning fall foliage area). The smell of woodsmoke. The apples. The sense of possibility when the kids go back to school (I'm in a college town). The harvest. The fall fairs. The forest getting ready to go to sleep for the winter. The bluest blue skies.

Scarecrows in Mahone Bay

I too planted JMs for fall color - this is Acer japonicum Acontinifolium and it puts on a stunning rainbow. I enjoy the show as after this it's grey and mud for five months.

LynnNM thanked robo (z6a)
  • User
    8 years ago

Lovely, Robo. I must get a Japanese maple!

• tinam61
    8 years ago

HH! Your post had me cracking up. But I decided there must have been a football game on and it made you cranky. I get the distinct feeling, you do NOT like fall! LOL

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

A lot of people seem to like Fall for the break in humidity. Y'all need to move to New England! I wasn't home in CT all that much but it was a very pleasant summer, and Southern Maine was 82-84 and sunny and low humidity every single day this summer, positively glorious.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

PS - lovefeastshop.com has the velvet pumpkins and I believe is the site that started it all. They are a little pricey. You will see the velvet pumpkins on many blogger sites and in the last month several bloggers have done give-aways. There are other fabrics available. Just a little FYI!

• User
    8 years ago

A lot of people seem to like Fall for the break in humidity. Y'all need
    to move to New England! I wasn't home in CT all that much but it was a
    very pleasant summer, and Southern Maine was 82-84 and sunny and low
    humidity every single day this summer, positively glorious.

But then comes winter. Our neighbor has a cottage in Maine. She spends May - early October there.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

One of my favorite local indie shops carries them too-- but yet another brand, Hot Skwash. I adore the wide variety of luscious colors.. but today I am digging the more subdued coastal colors.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

We haven't spent much time there in the winter, but I have the local weather on my phone. and I check it most days. It surprises me how similar it is to here in Southern CT... it's only about 2 degrees cooler in Southern Maine (coastal Maine that is). Of course, if you are comparing it to being in the South, well then you have chosen your seasons!

PS I just noticed the acorns ... maye have to buy some! Any other ideas for my urn in my entry hall?

• tinam61
    8 years ago

Funky, I have some of the pumpkins in the aqua and taupe, cream shades. So pretty!

Mt., I could never leave the south. Most of the time I can handle the humidity. And I could never handle your winters. LOL

• User
    8 years ago

It's not the cold so much as the snow. Gladly left that behind in Indiana. Hate Louisiana summers, but guess that's the tradeoff.

• prettybluehouse
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? Both! I love Halloween for the silly, spooky fun. I love Thanksgiving for the coziness and food.
    2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? Hiking on crisp, cool days is the best. I also like the yard work.
    3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Curling up to read or watch TV, or maybe sleeping. I don't sleep well unless it's cold.
    4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? Pumpkin and apples. I love to make, and eat, pumpkin breads and muffins. We visit an apple orchard nearby every week to get our apples.
    5. Favorite Autumn dinner? There are so many - soup, chili, stews, anything hot and hearty.
    6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities? I don't think so.
    7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? We don't football.
    8. Do you actually watch football games on TV? Nope.
    9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? A little, but I expect to do more in the coming years.
    10. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things? I have discovered that I love wreath-making. I just made a Fall wreath and have the materials to make a Halloween wreath. I have plans for Halloween decorating for the front door area, but that's about it. I don't do much of anything inside.
    11. What season IS your favorite? Autumn for sure.
    12. What do you like best about Autumn? I love everything about it. I love the cooler temps and sunny days, the foliage, the sense of purpose as kids go back to school, the excitement of the coming holidays, the food, the gathering darkness, the preparations for winter.
    LynnNM thanked prettybluehouse
  • cawaps
    8 years ago

·
    Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving?

Halloween. I like the decorations
    and costumes. Thanksgiving is more stressful, as it usually involves travelling
    to my mom’s (she doesn’t feel up to traveling anymore).

·
    Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months?

Camping is great this time of year. Crowds are down, temperatures are down.

·
    Favorite indoor activity during these same months?

Sugar
    skulls for Dia de Los Muertos

·
    Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"?

No

Edited to say I thought of one...pomegranates.

·
    Favorite Autumn dinner?

Don’t
    really have one

·
    Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities?

Piedmont
    Ave does a Halloween parade for anyone in a costume to walk, follwed by
    trick-or-treating with merchants, followed by bouncy houses and a haybale maze
    at Mountain View Cemetery. Can’t beat that.

·
    Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or
    pro team?

When I was
    a kid growing up in Washington, my dad would watch as much football as he could
    amd so of course I followed the sport. Of course “our” team was the Seahawks,
    back when they were pretty bad. Now I barely watch sports at all unless I’m
    somewhere that’s running a game.

·
    Do you actually watch football games on TV?

I cut the
    cable 5 years ago and don’t get broadcast signals. So, no. Unless, as I said, I
    happen to be in the pizza joint on a Sunday or a Monday night.

·
    Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving?

Halloween,
    but not Thanksgiving so much.

·
    Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things?

I really
    don’t. I live in California, so Fall doesn’t have the same meaning as in, say,
    New England. Frost is a rare occurance here in the Bay Area, and trees don’t
    turn color the same way, and without the temperature cue it just isn’t the same.
    We really only have 2 seasons, wet and dry.

·
    What season IS your favorite?

November
    is my favorite month. The Bay Area usually has a lot of fog/mist/marine layer
    that makes everything just a little bit hazy. November usually when the rainy
    season starts ramping up. So we have long stretches of clear cool weather. And
    right after a rain, the air is a clear as a bell and you can see to the
    Faralonn Islands 30 miles off the coast. Beautiful.

· What do you like
    best about Autumn?

This year I am really looking forward to the rain.

LynnNM thanked cawaps
  • IdaClaire
    8 years ago

I am actually relieved to read that there are others here who sound like they hate football every bit as much as I do. That's a hard thing to admit where I live. "Friday Night Lights" and all that crap. Blech.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

OMG, I adore snow. And ice. I don't think I would if I still had to commute or if I had to shovel. But, for us, all snow means is no school and we all sleep in. And it is so so pretty here because there is not much traffic on our road to gunk it up.

LynnNM thanked MtnRdRedux
  • rubyclaire
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving
    2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? Kayaking, beach
    3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Reading
    4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? Soups
    5. Favorite Autumn dinner? Soup with yummy bread & glass of wine.
    6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities? A favorite art show and numerous small town fall festivals.
    7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? Currently Florida State University - DD in marching band.
    8. Do you actually watch football games on TV? Yes, a relatively new development in my life. I used to be sooo annoyed by the drone of the game on tv. I'm kind of into college football now.
    9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? A little...I also have the velvet pumpkins and they constitute my fall decor along with flowers/greenery.
    10. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things? See above.
    11. What season IS your favorite? Fall - less humidity, crisper air, clothes, DD was born in fall. Love it all.
    12. What do you like best about Autumn? :) See above.
    LynnNM thanked rubyclaire
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

Acorns....and pine cones for decoration. I took an old fence post, cut it down and sanded it a bit, and drilled eight holes in it in a serpentine fashion across the length of it, in and around the three rail openings. The right holes are or taillight candles, drilled just to the depth where the flame is level with the post, and in the fall and winter, I'll change out the stuff I put in the rail holes to match the season. Pine cones and my fake bartlett pears in the fall, maybe some bittersweet; holly leaves with the berries (real ones) @ Christmas; juniper branches with the tiny blue berries for winter...I made it for a Thanksgiving centerpiece, but it's turned out to be a wonderful overall piece of year-round house decor. I have it on a mantel on a recessed window, and when the candles are lit, the light from the flames bounce off both the window panes and the storm windows outside, so the flame is three-deep. It's a wonderful effect.

LynnNM thanked tibbrix
  • Funkyart
    8 years ago

I just saw this on FB.. chinoiserie pumpkins! Not sure I have the patience to do one but love them!

• busybee3
    8 years ago

1.) I used to really like Halloween because my kids were so excited and I had fun making costumes, decorating, making spooky food, etc but I much prefer thanksgiving much more now because the kids come home and we get together with either family or friends and I love cooking and eating a fantastic thanksgiving meal!!!

2.) walking/hiking/biking.

3.) my indoor activities don't change much season-season except for decorating the house for the holidays. and i will do some more indoor painting now that i can open the windows again! every fall I also change out my clothes in my closet...

4.) orchard apples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.) I still like to grill throughout the fall... I don't tend to make soup/chili much until it's closer to winter...

6.) corn mazes, haunted houses, pumpkin patches with hay rides and things like that can be found throughout the area........

7.) we cheer for our alma maters and for teams that we used to cheer for depending on the different places we've lived!! so, even if our local teams aren't doing well, we have enough teams we like to keep us interested (me really- I'm more into sports than my kids and my hub... which is funny because I didn't watch any of it until ~10-15 yrs ago!) in our new town we can walk to the local highschool- football is big here on sat afternoons, so we will walk up to some games with the dogs!

8.) yes!

9/10.) yes, but not too much... I try to make our outside inviting for trick or treaters so will put some fun things like tombstones, a big spider, glowing pumpkins etc out for halloween night. I used to decorate a lot more inside... now will just put out a few favorite things on the mantel and tables for both holidays... Christmas is what I spend a lot more time decorating for!

11.) I don't know if I really have a favorite season anymore... I used to always say spring, but I do love fall too! and, I love summer when it's not too hot and humid! so, it's easier to say winter is my least favorite season!!!

12.) I love being able to open my windows and let fresh cool air in. I love the super clear blue skies we get so often in the fall! I love the brisk mornings! I love the changing leaves... I used to love the smell of burning leaves back when people used to burn them more often... I love wearing sweaters again!! :)

LynnNM thanked busybee3
  • Funkyart
    8 years ago

You'll have to put your lovely craft room to use! I am seriously considering giving it a try. Problem is, I don't think one is enough-- and I am not sure I have the patience to do more than one.

Here's the article from Country Living.

ETA - doh, right in the first paragraph they provide the link to the artist's etsy shop! So yes-- you CAN buy them!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday:
      Halloween or Thanksgiving?
      Thanksgiving
    2. Favorite outdoor activity
      during the Autumn months?
      Sulking about the end of summer. Actually, walking on the beach now that
      they are free again.
    3. Favorite indoor activity during
      these same months?
      Watching football.
    4. Do you have a favorite food
      that just says "Fall"?
      Baked sweet potatoes, fresh apples (Honeycrisp)
    5. Favorite Autumn dinner? Chicken and dumplings
    6. Does your town/city have any
      sort of Autumn festivities?
      They must.
      Probably the Guinness Oyster Festival this weekend.
    7. Fall/Autumn is football season.
      Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team?
      College: Temple and Michigan.
      Pro: Philadelphia Eagles (don’t judge)
    8. Do you actually watch football
      games on TV?
      Yes! I LOVE NFL RedZone, football for those
      with short attention spans!
    9. Do you decorate for
      Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving?
      No
    10. Do you go all-out decorating
      for Fall or just put out a few things?
      N/A
    11. What season IS your favorite? Late spring/early summer
    12. What do you like best about
      Autumn?
      Not
      much, it makes me sad.
    LynnNM thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • hhireno
    8 years ago

Oh my goodness, Diane_nj! To me, The Red Zone is the worst! It's football viewing for gamblers and people with ADD.

Don't judge - hahaha. My husband is also an Eagles fan.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

1. I used to love Halloween when my kids were little but now it's sort of annoying. The candy is too tempting, the dogs bark every time the doorbell rIngs...bah, humbug. I'll take Thanksgiving, which is always a fun day spent with the in-laws.

2. Apple picking, getting pumpkins, walking with crunchy leaves underfoot.

3. As others have said: nesting.

4. Apple crisp. Or really, just plain apples.

5. Can't think of a specific one, but I do like making soups.

6. Not right in our town, but there are a few around us.

7. Zero interest in football but DH is obsessed with the Pats.

8. No. I don't even like to be within earshot, so I either go out or to another area of the house.

9. In a minor way. I have a combination of handmade glass pumpkins and little (real) white and orange pumpkins on the mantel, and some more mini pumpkins in a bowl in another room. That's about it. Outside...we'll get some big pumpkins for the front steps when we go apple picking this weekend.

10. See #9.

11. Fall was always my favorite because my birthday is in Sept., but the older I get, the more fall signifies the coming of winter, which kind of bums me out. I still like fall best, though, I guess!

12. Cooler temps., "cozying up" the house, seeing the foliage change.

LynnNM thanked Sueb20
  • skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? Halloween.
    2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? Garden clean up; picking apples
    3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Reading; cooking
    4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? apple pie/crisp
    5. Favorite Autumn dinner? pot roast with root vegetables
    6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities? downtown has trick or treat at the stores; surrounding towns have Oktoberfests, fall craft fairs; corn mazes; apple picking
    7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? no
    8. Do you actually watch football games on TV? no
    9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? yes - all three
    10. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things? It seems like just a few until its time to put them away
    11. What season IS your favorite? spring
    12. What do you like best about Autumn? The colors. I try not to think beyond that. (dark, cold and icy)
    LynnNM thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • User
    8 years ago

We've been buying apples like crazy. Love this time of year! Thanks to all of you who mentioned crisp that's what dh is getting for his b'day tonight. Made vanilla ice cream this morning.

• Bunny
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving?
      Thanksgiving.
    2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months?
      Walking, gardening
    3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months?
      Reading
    4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"?
      Soups and stews
    5. Favorite Autumn dinner?
      Pot roast
    6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities?
      Probably
    7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team?
      49ers
    8. Do you actually watch football games on TV?
      Of course. I may not sit riveted to the TV, but I usually have a game on.
    9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving?
      Nope.
      No seasonal decorating at any time, except Christmas (tree, wreath on door)
    11. What season IS your favorite?
      Late spring. Actually that moment as spring is turning into summer. That moment before the climax.
    12. What do you like best about Autumn?
      I confess to hating fall because it means summer is over and the light is dwindling. It makes me melancholy but I'm working on it, since there's nothing I can do about it. I love the heat of summer, the way it makes my body loose. There is definitely a beauty about fall, but it's also about loss. Give me spring, new birth, the crack of the bat, resurrection.
    LynnNM thanked Bunny
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    8 years ago

I forgot about Honeycrisp apples. Yum. .

Thanks for keeping me company during my lunch today.

• hhireno
    8 years ago

All the pot roast answers reminds me, last year I liked the New England Pot Roast in the George (or is it Geoffrey, I never remember) Zakarian cookbook. I received the book as a gift, I didn't know who he was, but I found out he's on the food network so you can look it up there. The recipe has mustard and horseradish and was delicious.

• Faron79
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? Halloween! I get to do all kinds of goofy stuff!

2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? Growing up, it was the Fall farm activities, and FOOTBALL of course!

3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Watching football, & goofing around with our dogs.

4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? Why, Lutefisk & Lefse of course!! Pumpkin-pies....YUM!!!

5. Favorite Autumn dinner? Good cheesy soups!

6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities? NDSU Football....;-)

7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? Oh hell yeah! The Bison obviously, & my beloved MN-Vikings!!!

8. Do you actually watch football games on TV? Silly question....;-)

9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? We just do a few things in windows, some lights.

11. What season IS your favorite? Fall AND Winter!

12. What do you like best about Autumn? The obvious....little humidity, cooler, beautiful leaves, less bugs, less mowing, allergies were much better in Fall too! And....FOOTBALL!

13. Faron

LynnNM thanked Faron79
  • MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Funky, I just bought three. Love them!

Thank you!

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

Oh, great, Mtn!.. hope you'll share photos!

• Butternut
    8 years ago
      1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving! I love the tradition of making the same recipes year after year, and I love just getting together without much else. I like how we can make the same stuffing, but get totally creative on dessert or whatever. The food is always delicious in my family! It's also the start of the Christmas season, and I really love that. Halloween, for me, is just about kids looking cute and getting candy, which is meh.
    1. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? Hiking, or just walking outside. I love how the air changes in the fall - we can already start to feel it here over the last week and need sweatshirts in the AM.

2. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Cooking! I love making fall foods like applesauce or butternut squash anything.

3. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? See above.

4. Favorite Autumn dinner? butternut squash risotto

5. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities? Don't know, I guess we'll see this year!

6. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? Don't follow sports.

7. Do you actually watch football games on TV? Absolutely not. Football games are for shopping without crowds.

8. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? I would like to do it more. I'm not into scary Halloween stuff at all, but I like the cute stuff and I love the harvesty stuff like wheat bundles and corn stalks and pumpkins.

9. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things? A few things, but would love to do more.

10. What season IS your favorite? Fall.

11. What do you like best about Autumn? The weather here in New England. It can really be gorgeous this time of year. The perfect temp, sunny, and that crispness when the humidity leaves after the summer. I also really like fall clothes so much better than spring/summer ones. Boots and chunky sweaters suit me so much better than tanks and short shorts.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

lol... never experienced the shopping without crowds thing as much as when we lived in central ohio ... NO ONE shopped during OSU games it seemed! it was great!

• LynnNM
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It has been such fun to read all of your posts. Many common threads unite us, have you noticed? The love of reading, making soup and pot roast, our enjoyment of walking and hiking during this beautiful season. Some great ideas for Fall decorations, too, thanks to Funkyart and Tibbie. Some posts have made me chuckle. Cindy's, for example, because she is just so glad the humidity down in Louisiana drops significantly in the Fall. And then there are some of you who mourn the passing of Summer. I probably would, too, if I had a place on the ocean or a lake. We have football lovers and football haters here. Folks that really don't get true Autumn weather where they live, folks that don't like it, and those of us who love this time of the year. We are definitely a good cross-section of humanity . . . and how wonderful is that?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    8 years ago

Busybee, same in Ann Arbor when UMich football was playing at home!

• User
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving!
    2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? Does sitting on our porch admiring the spectacular tree color qualify?
    3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Planning for Christmas
    4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? Chili
    5. Favorite Autumn dinner? Chili and cornbread and salad; Minestrone soup with homemade croutons; pork tenderloin with sage stuffing and applesauce.
    6. Does your town/city have an sort of Autumn festivities? Fall fling!
    7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? Never watched a football game
    8. Do you actually watch football games on TV? No
    9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? I used to, but it takes so long to decorate for Christmas we now start before Thanksgiving
    10. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things? Nothing :-(
    11. What season IS your favorite? Christmas and summer.
    12. What do you like best about Autumn? The incredible spectacle of changing leaves.
  • missymoo12
    8 years ago

Thanksgiving is our favorite fall holiday.

Favorite fall outdoor fun used to be trail-riding around the farm with my DH but had to give that up due to my hips. Now we walk.

Fixing to nest for the winter...

Yes to Chili!

Stuffed green peppers, baked on the half acorn squash, baked potato, perfect bread, and PIE!

Nothing specific for Autumn but there are a million corn-mazes and haunted houses etc.

I don't really care for football as much as some other team sports but have been dragged to a few tail-gates at Penn State...

We used to throw a few Superbowl parties years back. But I don't watch any on TV.

I love Fall decorations and will go whole hog next year - we are just getting moved into the house this fall. (not really into Halloween stuff however) I am having Thanksgiving dinner so will do some indoor things.

I absolutely love Fall. My parents business was a greenhouse/nursery/wholesaleveggie farm and my mom was weirdly successful running that business. My dad was in charge of growing and mom had a knack for the business end. There were 16 hour days for her March to November. But it all wound down after Halloween and that was the time my mom could finally take some time and just be mom and be in the house and cook etc. She was an excellent cook and could have had a restaurant ( her sister did) and her pies were the best I've ever had. That stuffed pepper meal above was a favorite!

Since we have the farm there are so many things to do to put the place to bed for the winter, but it is so enjoyable, reflecting on a year well spent. The best part is the thanks we give for the blessings we have and I really cherish that aspect of this time of year.

LynnNM thanked missymoo12
  • Melissa Kroger
    8 years ago
    1. Favorite Autumn holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving? it used to be Halloween when the kids were younger. For years we did a huge haunted house for the neighborhood, with Dh scaring the daylights out of all the kids and adults too! Last year was our final year of doing it, and it was scaled way down. It's too much work and our youngest will graduate from hs this year. I love Thanksgiving because it's all about sharing a traditional meal with loved ones!
    2. Favorite outdoor activity during the Autumn months? Taking walks on the beach and gardening.
    3. Favorite indoor activity during these same months? Cooking, reading and getting the house in shape for the holidays.
    4. Do you have a favorite food that just says "Fall"? Soups and chili with corn bread
    5. Favorite Autumn dinner? Pot roast and potatoes with gravy and cornbread, and anything pumpkin for dessert.
    6. Does your town/city have any sort of Autumn festivities? There are a lot of pumpkin festivals, corn mazes and fall craft shows. I used to take the kids, but don't go anymore.
    7. Fall/Autumn is football season. Do you have a favorite college and/or pro team? Dh is a huge sports fan, especially football and hockey. He and dd are obsessive about the Steelers. (Pro) and Michigan (college).
    8. Do you actually watch football games on TV? No! Despite the fact that Dh watches every single pro and college game, and the tv seems to always be blasting some football game, I hate hate hate football! I completely ignore it, even if I am in the same room.
    9. Do you decorate for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving? I used to decorate insanely for all holidays, but it is very scaled down now. I put out pumpkins and a scarecrow and wreaths on the doors. Going all out takes too much time and energy. With my kids grown and my parents gone, I don't really enjoy it anymore.
    10. Do you go all-out decorating for Fall or just put out a few things? See above
    11. What season IS your favorite? Winter! I live in So Cal but am not a fan of the heat, so winter is the coziest and most comfortable time of year for me.
    12. What do you like best about Autumn? In other parts of the country I love the crisp air and beautiful colors. Here in LA I like the fact that the temps are not in the 100s and the feeling that colder weather is on the way...eventually.
    LynnNM thanked Melissa Kroger
Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor