SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pikeminnow

Help me convert to "gritty mix"

A M
8 years ago

I'm seeing a lot of people talk about this gritty mix. I'm not put off by the idea of the work, but I have other constraints:

1. I'm poor and in college. I can put maybe $20 a month into this project. Maybe.

2. I live in an apartment, with three other people. There is no room to screen things.

I want to switch to gritty so that I can stop potting up. I currently have a ton of avocados in a huge plastic storage bin of a fluffy-for-now mix of coir and sand, which has only a few months to go before it gets compacted again and they want up. I also have tomatoes, basil, and some other plants, and my plan is basically to switch them all over the next six to seven months.

They're content enough for now, but I can tell that this is unsustainable and has been for a while. Almost all of the plants are a year to two years old, with the exception of the basil which is more like six months old due to my habit of snipping them and propagating them in the never ending quest for pesto.

But I really need help on how I'm going to manage this when I'm just barely making ends meet otherwise- I want to move the plants to gritty mix so I can *pot them down* to like 5 gal buckets so I can have my plastic storage bin back, and my floor back. Floor space is expensive! Sand is heavy! How does someone with *no space* and *no yard* achieve grit mix?

Comments (9)