SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ewwmayo

Succulents back-budding from higher light?

ewwmayo
8 years ago

Now that my succulents have been under my lights for a while, I noticed a lot of them are back-budding even though I didn't prune or pinch them. Have any of you noticed similar things happening to your plants? They all stopped growing taller.

This Crassula ovata cv 'Tricolor Obliqua' has new leaves center-left and tiny leaves are growing in the far back near the base:

This Crassula aborescens grew leaves on the left out of the side of the trunk and another pair just started near the base (in the dark area). The new leaves on top are oddly growing 'inverted' with the concave sides facing down:

Not sure what's going on with this Sempervivum calcareum (ID not confirmed). It started growing these buds all around the sides - around 8 of them. Possibly pups?

Even my Faucaria felina is growing new leaves between the existing ones. Here are two leaves getting 'squashed' between the others. Another new pair is growing on the far left (among many others):

Can't say I don't mind having shorter, denser plants? It's just a much bigger change than what I expected. This is happening to many other of my plants too, these are just a few.

My understanding was that more light resulted in shorter internode spacing on new growth only. After this, I'm thinking this is not actually the whole story.

I'm a little curious and also a little worried what everything will look like after a few months...

Comments (8)