SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mysocalledlife

aloe leaves drooping and creasing

mysocalledlife
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

I have had this aloe plant for about 15 months and it has been drooping ever since I repotted it about 8 months ago.

Before I repotted it, I was watering it a lot (once or twice a week). It seemed to be fine with that, but I was worried that it would get root rot since two of my other cacti ended up rotting and dying from over watering, so I decided to repot it in case there was any rot in the soil. When I repotted it, I accidentally ended up breaking off many of the finer roots but I figured it should grow back. BTW I repotted it in 75% cactus soil mix and 25% perlite.

After repotting, I reduced watering to once a month in the cooler months, and every 3 weeks or so in the warmer months. It became droopy right after repotting, except it wasn't dying...in fact it kept growing. It grew 4 or 5 new leaves in about six months, but one by one, those leaves all drooped once they reached a certain length. The leaves are long and thin, each about maybe a foot long, but only 1/2 inch to 1 inch across. The leaves still feel "normal" to the touch and are very green. A couple of the older leaves have also fallen off during this time (the part that attaches the leaf to the plant turned brown and dried up, pinching the leaf off of the plant).

The aloe now has eight leaves. One of them (the newest one) is still standing upright. Three of them (the other relatively new ones) are droopy, but otherwise ok looking. Three of the outermost leaves are droopy and have creases in them, which I think is a sign that they're dying (correct me if I'm wrong?) And the last leaf is pretty much dying and will probably turn brown and pinch off in a few weeks (I would cut it off, but I'm afraid the plant will get infected if it has an open "wound"). What worries me is that there isn't any tiny new leaves starting to grow from the center, like there usually is...does that mean it has stopped growing for the season, or is it an indicator of poor health?

So what is happening here? Not enough water? Not enough light? Root rot? Too much root damage from repotting to support the plant? I have seen all of these listed as possible explanations...so how do I know which one is correct? How do I get it to stop doing this?

Comments (38)