SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevinhoene

Foam panels, PEX tubing buckled up/blowing around before basement pour

kevinhoene
8 years ago

Ok we had a bit of a problem today. HVAC contractor laid 1" thick XPS foam panels on Friday and then placed the PEX tubing for our radiant floors. Basement slab was to be poured on Monday. I got a call today from a neighbor that said our foam panels and PEX tubing were coming up and blowing around in the wind.

Some of the PEX tubing was stretching/straining due to the buckled panels and blowing wind (was a bit windy but nothing unusual).

The HVAC contractor came out and put everything back together. Several of the panels were cracked or had pieces missing. The HVAC contractor is coming back Monday to replace the panels that were damaged, retape seams, etc.

I have a couple questions ...

I am the general contractor. Is the HVAC contractor responsible for rectifying the situation at no additional cost to me?

Should I be concerned about the PEX tubing that was stretching/straining? The HVAC contractor said it looked fine and said this stuff is pretty resilient.

Some of the XPS panels "creased" but didn't really crack all the way through. Are these panels salvageable?

Anything else I should know before the basement is poured?

Thanks!

Comments (4)