SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loonar29

Seeking Layout Advice

loonar29
8 years ago

Been lurking these forums for quite a while and appreciate all of the shared wisdom and advice many of you provide for the love of kitchens! Now it's time for this lurker to seek your help!

We've only lived in this house for 2 months and knew before we bought it that the kitchen and overall layout was definitely not perfect. However, the pluses outweighed the negatives and now it's time to start planning the renovations.

The house is just over 20 years old and is a bungalow with finished basement. Ceilings are all 8' with the exception of the Living Room which has a 12' ceiling and windows that reach 11' high in that room only. The Living Room faces north but lets in tons of light. The rear of the home faces south but doesn't get lots of light partly due to the many tall trees in the backyard.

It's only dh and I living here (daughter moved away) and we are in our early 50s. We are relatively simple cooks and casual in our entertaining. We only plan on being in this home for 5-10 years, but who knows for sure, so we're trying to keep in mind that this could be where we end up forever.

We do like the quick access from garage into kitchen for unloading groceries. I like the size of the laundry area, but am thinking about making it a combo mud room/laundry, or a powder room/mudroom or a powder room/laundry, etc, etc. Yup, I'm kinda lost on this whole floor plan stuff.

Whole home considerations include adding a half bath closer to the main area of the home; making 3 bedrooms into 2 master bedrooms (we have a full finished basement with 2 more bedrooms); moving laundry closer to bedrooms; etc. What we do not want to do is increase the footprint of the home (no addition). FWIW, the wall behind the fridge is load bearing.

I figured if I started with the heart of the home (kitchen) then I would work my way from there. At 2 months into this home, we have not spent any time whatsoever in either the dining or living room. It's like we have the square footage overall but the flow is not great. I hope I've provided you with enough (probably too much!) information. If you are still with me, then thanks for reading!

Here is our current kitchen layout:

Whole Home Layout:

Comments (19)