SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehuns27

Insecticide Soap...

ehuns27 7a PA
8 years ago

I want to treat my plants before I bring them in for the Winter, as I mentioned in another one of my threads. I had an aphid infestation on my E. Black Prince and have been battling mealy bugs all summer. Mostly they have just been here or there one at a time and I was able to take care of it right away, with the exception of one of my Sempervivum pots.

I was wondering what everyone thinks of insecticide soap. Like this one for example. It says it contains about 50% of potassium salts from fatty acids and will take care of all of my issues.

I mostly want to use this to ensure nothing travels inside with me in a month or so. I won't be checking on my plants as often and they will be together in tighter clumps around the house. I don't want to pull back my blinds and find huge mealy's all over my plants.

I really try to avoid harmful pesticides when treating my plants. Imidacloprid has been suggested and I have seen a couple other people that use it. I really don't want to use this product because of its association with killing bees and other beneficial insects.

I don't want to get into a discussion as to why or why not we should be using the group of pesticides known as neons on our succulents and for what purposes. I want to discuss insecticide soap; have you used it, did it work, is it safe for succulents, does it have any side effects, what the heck potassium salts from fatty acids are, etc.

Thanks!

-Erica

Comments (4)