SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nakenfest

Starting my own greenhouse

8 years ago

Hi,

Im a 33 year old IT-technician from the Nordics and Im in the thought process of completly changing my career. Im thinking about starting a commercial greenhouse growing hot peppers. Im not there yet though and I have alot of questions regarding the growing part. First the big picture things:

Im going to do it with hydroponics, probably a drip system and rockwool as growing medium.

Since we have a really cold climate here, is this even possible? If I just do it the traditional way with a heated greenhouse, I might get a season from late april to early september, 6 months, and only 3 months when its even somewhat warm. Is that enough to produce a good quantity of peppers or would I need more time?

Another thought is to do it indoors, using LED lighting. Then I can have a growing season all year arround and really control the climate. But is it really economically viable? (I realize I have to do the calculations for that myself) Just asking for your thoughts about it in general, growing indoors and no sun.

Any thoughts, positive or negative is welcome. Id like to hear as much as you can.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner