SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Loveseat as Only Couch?

Carrie B
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My home has a footprint of 12' x 25', with the first floor including an open floor plan living room & kitchen.

I have a standard size (82ish inch) couch. I've moved the couch around several times during my 16 years in this house, and I think the current location, under the window, against the front of the house makes the most sense, but it's so bulky. I looked into getting an "apartment sized" couch & discovered that that's basically what I have!

Would it be odd to have a loveseat as my one & only couch? Do you think that would make the most sense for me?

*note: my kitchen is currently undergoing a remodel. The peninsula & table visible in the photo are/will be gone, and a 30" round table w/ two dining chairs will be my eating area & will be placed near where the scratching post is in the photo, on the left.

I live alone with two cats, and only occasionally casually entertain.

Comments (66)

• amykath
    8 years ago

I would definitely get something smaller and less bulky. As for an end table or small table, west elm has some great martini tables and other small portable tables. I just got one and love it.Small side table

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, aktillery9. Yes, a small end table is what I want, though maybe a bit bigger than the one you posted. I'd like to be able to fit: small reading lamp, drink, and maybe my keys & sunglasses - it's what will be closest to the front door, so I know I'll have to fight the temptation to load it up with mail, etc... I've got issues with horizontal surfaces...

To whit: here's my coffee table, as it looks right now. I do have the reasonably good excuse of being mid kitchen remodel:

• Related Discussions

DIY Upholstery of Sofa & Love Seat

Q

Comments (36)
    I'm gobsmacked. Such complicated things for your first big job - I would never have made it. Terrific job. Your room looks so serene now. Good work, you! And to both you and Laurie, I am green with envy - my Featherweight was stolen in a burglary many years ago while we were out of the house after a fire, and I have never had a machine as sturdy and reliable as that little gem. I made both my prom dresses, numerous summer party dresses, and oodles of Villager skirt and McMullen shirtwaist knock-offs on that machine. Ah, youth ...
    ...See More

sofa or sofa/loveseat combo PIC help needed

Q

Comments (11)
    Do you need the dropleaf table and chairs, or is it just there because you like it? How many people do you need to seat in the space on a regular basis? Having done it several times, I would never again buy a couch and loveseat combo. I think buying either a couch or a loveseat, and then a pair of occasional chairs or recliners, is the way to go for versatility and interest. Is the fireplace going to be real, or a faux (electric or gel fuel) fireplace? If it is faux, i would seriously consider putting the fireplace /tv combo on the shorter inside wall opposite the window, and preserving the larger end wall for a couch and tables/lamps. I would then put two chairs in front of the window with another table/lamp. The dropleaf and chairs could then span the space across the room by the entry Assuming you want to keep the chairs and table, and the fireplace and tv are on the end wall, I would put the couch (no loveseat) across the room with its back to the entry. I creates a nice defined entryway for you. Put a sofa table behind it. I would then put a pair of chairs in front of the window, with a table between them, and put the dining table and chairs against the inside wall.
    ...See More

No-one wants my sofa and love seat!! Charities want only clothes/

Q

Comments (11)
    Craigslist in the free section It costs charities a lot to haul away furniture and there is no market for used upholstered pieces. Also with the rise of bedbug infestation, any kind of upholstered pieces could harbor them. I had an antique wood bed frame and no charity would take the wood bed frame because of the bedbug issue since they aren't equipped to fumigate stuff that is donated.
    ...See More

Two sofas versus sofa, love seat and fireside chair??

Q

Comments (6)
    we would love to help you create sofas or a sectional to perfectly fit your space. any size you need, any fabric or fill. we are a family business making affordable custom sofas and custom sectionals in los angeles for over 50 years now. please CLICK HERE TO REQUEST A QUOTE xoxo eva @ MONARCHSOFAS.COM ***CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF FINISHED CUSTOM SOFA SECTIONAL PROJECT
    ...See More
  • Debbie Downer
    8 years ago

How about two love seats parallel and facing each other - one where it is in the pic, the other opposite it - with table in between. Cant tell from pic whether theres space for that type of set up. Had a friend with a set up like that and it made for a nice cozy space for friends to gather and converse intimately for many hours. With that fireplace adjacent that would really increase your coziness factor!

Since my LR is only 10 x 12 with 3 doors and 1 window Im going with a loveseat myself and one comfy chair. With small spaces it just cant be all things for all people, so you have to think of how you will most use it and set it up for that (in my case small groups of friends and movie viewing).

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

As small as your house is, it may have had a tiny vestibule or partial wall, at least, right inside the door to separate the entry door and cut draft2. I looked at a slightly wider, very intact 1810 house that had the ghosts of an entire hallway (about 32" wide) in this location.

A full vestibule would be too much but it could make sense to build a wall about as deep as a sofa (32"-36") to separate the door slightly. Then furniture could be placed right against it and actually slightly closer to the door than you would be inclined to with no division there.

A client of mine really wanted to take her vestibule out at first, but then looked at houses without them and determined for herself that furniture placement was actually easier with it intact.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, kashka_kat. I do like that general look, but in my house, it would lead to a bottleneck between my steps & my dining table & chairs.This photo hopefully gives a sense of that space, though the couch, in that position, is partially blocking the view. The table & peninsula are gone, and a new, 30" round table with two chairs is going to be centered over the heating vent near the cat bed on the right.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Palimpsest - interesting idea! Something to think about for the future. I do like the idea of minimizing the draft to the couch. On the other hand, an alternative surface to the bay windowsill to drop stuff when I walk in the door is kind of appealing.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

I guess it also depends on whether you ever have the front door open or if you have a screen door. I always find it a bit odd to walk down the sidewalk and see someone's elbow dangling in the front door while they watch TV. I would not really like sitting in that spot. I'd sit on the floor with my back to the wall under the bay window first.

Actually on streets like this I walk in the street rather than on the walk anyway, so I don't feel like I can reach out and touch someone in their living room as I walk by. (Obviously I have issues).

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Palimpsest - I actually don't have a front screen (have a metal gate) on the front door. I will say, though, that a neighbor expressed discomfort with seeing the back of my head through the window as I sit on the couch. Doesn't bother me, but I think he was worried that someone would decide it was an opportunity for target practice or something.

• graywings123
    8 years ago

Technically a love seat is designed to fit two people, but you are unlikely to see two people try to sit in one - just like you seldom see three people on a sofa. People don't want to sit that close to one another. You might consider two upholstered chairs. I like the sofa that crl posted above.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

You could try out Pal's idea by putting a bookshelf there (ceiling high or lower). I personally always have done that in similar situations. For whatever reason I need a little "protection" from doors....

The IKEA Stocksund is 78" and comes with slipcovers

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Graywings - I'd bet two people would sit in a loveseat at one of my parties. And since it's usually only one person, I'm not really worried about that. The sofa that crl_ posted is nice, but only 4" shorter than my current sofa, so doesn't help enough to add an end table.

Nosoccermom - good idea about the bookshelf. I would be worried, if I didn't secure it, though, that a cat would jump up and knock it over, which could be a mess, let alone dangerous to the cat. The sofa you posted is nice, but, again, only 4" shorter than what I already have. I think I'd need something at least a foot shorter (around 72") to be able to fit a small end table, and for it to feel less crammed.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

Would 4 more inches give you room for a table with a lamp attached. They come in many sizes...some with drawers. How much space (inches) would you have for a table with a 78 inch sofa?

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, k9arlene. I think I really need at least 12" to feel like it's even worth it to get a new sofa/loveseat. Trading in one perfectly good, comfortable sofa for one that's 4" shorter isn't how I want to spend my money.

• bpath
    8 years ago

I've always loved this look, so cozy. But flexible, too: the chairs can be circled around a table or ottoman, or paired up on either side like two loveseats. If you have an ottoman, and maybe if one chair can lean back like half a recliner (or just get a recliner) you can snooze. These chairs look a little big, you can find any size that works. Swivel, rock, or both!

You could also have a "chair and a half", so the cats have room to share with you.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, bpathome. I also saw quite a few images with that concept in my Online searches. I'll have to draw it up on graph paper to see if it would work. I think that a loveseat actually takes up less room than two decent sized chairs, given that the chairs would have space between them. There might not be enough space in my LR to make room for four chairs, given the fireplace, steps & dining table/chairs. Will play around.

Here's my layout, more or less. Fridge wall has changed, but the LR is accurage: (30" round table w/ two chairs will go between the bay & the DW) each square = 6"

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I don't if this exists in your area, but I had a chaise custom made a year or so ago at a place in SF called furniture envy. It's actually not expensive--less than pottery barn, but more than ikea. They will use a picture as a guide and do a sketch and use whatever dimensions you want. Just thought I'd mention that as a possibility for getting the exact size that fits your space.

Carrie B thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

This is from west elm and comes in 72.5.

Also from west elm and I think it was 68 inches.

Carrie B thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Given the placement right by the door, I'd at least consider a swing arm wall sconce for a lamp. I'd probably knock one off a table in that position.

• Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

If it were my room, I would replace the sofa with two comfortable arm chairs with one ottoman so that I could make one of the chairs into a chaise for lounging. One of the table with lamp ideas like K9arlene posted could go between the two chairs. The ottoman could double as a coffee table by using a tray atop it.

Carrie B thanked Fun2BHere
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

If the shelf is ceiling high, you can attach it to the ceiling; if it's low, to the wall.

IKEA Ektorp love seat is 70"

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69932589/

• Kippy
    8 years ago

I found a 2 seat sofa ( I thought it was a love seat and did not check the measurements before purchasing) it turns out to be bigger than I expected but still much smaller than my regular couch. It is about 72" I ended up liking it so much that I got a second and ditched my bigger couch. I never once thought about using the couch for a nap, when the house is that small it is really not that big of deal to walk a few more steps to where one can sleep well...in bed.

In our small living room, not having the big rolled arms has made a big difference and even with far too much furniture for a small room, keeping the furniture low really makes the room seem bigger

• JustDoIt
    8 years ago

Sell 1/2 the lot to the homeowner on the other side of the lot and widen the room. All problems solved. I'm not trying to be funny.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Here's another 72" love seat

It comes in 77 different fabrics and various wood tones, 1599.00

• always1stepbehind
    8 years ago

Only you know how you live and use your space and if a full sized sofa isn't needed, stick with a loveseat for the space you are after. Cant wait to see what you end up with :-)

• Karenseb
    8 years ago

This is a nice love seat from Ethan Allen. Small arms and only 62 inches. Unfortunately $2000, but I have bought their sofas and they are really nice. I think you could fit a nice end table with the smaller sofa. Perhaps something with drawers to maximize storage. I guessed at some of your dimensions like the wall length available for sofa and end table.

According to your previous drawing, you may actually have 12 feet and 3 inches. Every inch counts! ): check out this link loveseat

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Crl_ - I like both of the West Elm loveseats you posted. Simple and nice. I also like the divider/bookshelf. Something like that would definitely work - so long as it's secure enough to to fall over with clumsy me & athletic cats. I really don't like the look of swing arm lamps, though.

Fun2BHere - I hear what you're saying about those table/lamps - I just really don't like them. And, to me, an ottoman would just feel too bulky - I know I'd be tripping over it constantly.

nosoccermom - I do like that IKEA couch. I wonder how comfortable & durable. At least, there's an IKEA nearby where I could test it out.

Thanks, Kippy - I do think a sofa in the 60-low 70" range could work well. And, at 5'3", I'm 63" tall, so even if the couch arms take up some space, with a pillow and my feet hanging over one end, I could still nap just fine. I never intentionally nap on the couch. What happens is I'm reading or on the laptop and my eyes get droopy and I put my device aside and slide my legs up on the sofa and doze off. I actually think a comfortable loveseat would be OK for that.

FinallyHome - I garden for a living. In the city. That extra lot was a big factor in buying the house. A few years ago, a builder offered me $100,000 for the lot - more than I bought my house AND the lot for 16 years ago... I may add a powder room into the back yard someday, but that lot is staying the way it is. :-) Oh, and plus, three houses back into that other lot, so there isn't one homeowner on the other side, and I don't know that my city would allow a 12' wide (maybe 14', actually) lot to be broken up.

nosoccermom - something like that could work!

Always1step - thank you! I'm going to wait until the kitchen is done (a month or so?) before buying any new furniture... and, well, we'll see if there's any money left over when that's done. :)

Karenseb - when I did that drawing, I was really focused on the kitchen, not on the LR. The dimensions where the fireplace is, is 11'6". It's 12' 6" on the sides of the fireplace. I like that Ethan Allen loveseat a lot!

I do have bedside tables & lamps that I can use as testers to see if
    I like the way that works, and to see if I'm always knocking the lamp
    over. Also, a friend of mine has a 65" loveseat she's planning to give
    up when her new couch is delivered. I'm going to have a look to see if I
    like it.

• Karenseb
    8 years ago

Carrie, I forgot to add that I think you should try a 36 inch round dining table. If you use small chairs angled like you like and keep the edge of the table near the wall as shown, I think a slightly larger table would work better. I show one chair pushed in and one pulled out some for daily use. After you have your kitchen done, try a 36 inch piece of cardboard on top of a smaller table to see how it works. If you could find a comfy chair for by the window, it could do double duty turned toward your living room fireplace. I'd even be tempted to try a 42 inch!

If you use two 18 X 18 inch chairs, you may never be able to totally keep them pushed in under the 30 inch wide table, depending on the table leg style you choose.

Also forgot to add that I checked out your inspiration picture for your kitchen and was amazed that your kitchen is looking like your inspiration.

Carrie B thanked Karenseb
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Karen - I cut out a 36" round "table" out of cardboard, and it was way too big for the space - let to a bottleneck between the LR & steps/kitchen. I was really hoping it would work, but even without chairs, it was out of scale & in the way.

I've got a bunch of inspiration photos - all the same basic idea, though - galley kitchen w/ a big glass door in the middle. Love it!

• Anne
    8 years ago

I would put a love seat perpendicular to the fireplace where the wood chairs are now and move the wood chairs in front of the windows with a table in between. I don't know that you need a coffee table but saw on a recent post something called a martini table which was a small round table that you could place at one end of the love seat for your drink while sitting on the love seat and easy to move. I would consider using the wood chairs for dining but if you like them they could work visually with a nice table. Charming home!

Carrie B thanked Anne
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Anne - I could do that - but there's not much room on the other side - the loveseat back would be sticking out into the isle between the steps and the dining table. I think it would be pretty cramped, and might even make the passage too narrow. If the loveseat is over there, there definitely won't be room for a table on the inside end of it.

• Anne
    8 years ago

I don't have the link to the post here but if you google martini table you can see it would fit in front of the love seat so you could scooch (is that a word?) the love seat forward. You know your space better then I and maybe you can play around with what you have or with cardboard cutouts to see what might work.

• Anne
    8 years ago

By the way, my huge square coffee table looks pretty much like yours and I am not remodeling anything!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Anne - the martini table is posted above, on this thread. I don't even think the loveseat itself will fit, let alone a table. My coffee table is my favorite piece of furniture...

• Karenseb
    8 years ago

Carrie, when you go looking at dining room tables again, be sure to try chairs at the table to see how they fit. Sometimes the leg style of the table and or chairs can keep the chairs pushed out at quite a distance, taking up more room in your area. I have a round 48 inch table and the chairs are not large, but because of the DR table leg style, the chairs can never be pushed in all the way. Still works for me, but my table is 48".

• Anne
    8 years ago

Don't know how I missed it. Sorry. And if you love the coffee table keep it!. If you keep the same living room arrangement I would vote for a love seat. You say you only casually entertain so if needed some folding chairs I think that would be fine. Your home is very welcoming and that is more important than perfect seating for a crowd when it is usually you and your cats! I go visit someone for the friendship.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Karenseb - table top is on order, I have the pedestal, and I have the chairs. They won't fit all the way in, but they'll fit enough to be out of the way.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Anne - our posts crossed. I'd definitely be willing to consider other arrangements... but a loveseat won't fit against the stairs without jutting out too much, I used to have a couch facing the fireplace, but if it was against the wall, you had to walk around it to come in and out the door, and if it was pushed toward the fireplace a few feet, there was a hallway effect I didn't like behind it - plus, your back would be to the garden out the bay window... I have four folding chairs in the basement that come up for parties!

Thanks so much for the comments about my home. I love my house!

• Karenseb
    8 years ago

Glad to hear it will work.

Carrie B thanked Karenseb
  • rockybird
    8 years ago

I dont have any suggestions but I wanted to say that your house is really cute. I do like crl's sofas and the idea for a half divider by the wall. It's great that you own the adjacent lot! Maybe you can post pics of your kitchen when you are done?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Karenseb. I've been driving the folks over on the kitchen forum batty for a couple of years now. :-)

Rockybird, I've been doing a blow-by-blow of the renovation process over on the kitchen forum.

Here's a before & an in-progress of my kitchen:

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Is that the same view? That door and view to the outside is just jummy!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nosoccermom - yup! Here's the old kitchen in daylight, to give you a sense of view:

• bpath
    8 years ago

Makes me wonder how people live there in 1830! With hoop skirts! But I think some people didn't cook or eat at home much in those days, if they lived in town.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Not only that, bpathome, but people raised families in these home, with the steep, narrow staircases!

• littleprince2
    8 years ago

I definitely think a loveseat makes sense. Your home is tiny!, and I think a loveseat is the correct scale for you.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Wow, that kitchen also looks way higher! I'd go with a love seat. Who cares what it's called if the length is right.

• always1stepbehind
    8 years ago

OMG...love that slider in the new kitchen remodel. What a difference in your view.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Littleprince2 - I think you're right. I keep thinking maybe just 3 or 4 chairs, but I like the idea of something bigger to lounge on when I'm by myself.

Nosoccermom - way higher meaning higher ceiling? I think my ceilings are 8' 8".

Always1stepbehind - isn't it awesome? Actually a hinged patio door rather than a slider - the screen slides, but the door swings all the way.