SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
71corvette

Looking for flowing tree suggestions

71corvette
8 years ago

My wife and I are looking for a nice flowering tree to place in our yard here in southern Maine. We're in the process of putting in a new walkway and flowerbeds so we figured this is a great time to tackle this as well. Right now we have a 5' diameter or so Korean Lilac that we want to replace with something more significant, the lilac just looks out of proportion. You can see it in the right side of the photo below in the lawn area and I've drawn an arrow to it's location in the second photo. The big tree behind it is actually about 40' away at the edge of the yard and is a large sugar maple

We're open to suggestions on what type of tree to get. The front of our house is a southern exposure so this tree should get a good amount of sunlight with a bit of morning shade. The soil is acidic and normally drained.

The normal options come to mind, dogwood, magnolia, redbud & flowering cherry but I'm having a hard time sorting through the options.

Ideally, we'd like to get something that works well with the yard overall, has a long bloom period, and provides interest to the yard in multiple seasons. The tree will have plenty of room around it so we're looking for something that can grow to a reasonably large size (20'-30' high maybe).

Thoughts?

Comments (15)